No announcement yet.

Migrating from 2003 to 2008 How???

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from 2003 to 2008 How???

Hello Everyonr, I hope you experts will definitely help me out Well I'm currently running Windows Server 2003 Ent Ed and its a Domain Controller as well as DNS. My Active Directory has lot of users and policies implemented and cant afford to loose it. I just bought Windows Server 2008 Std license and want to upgrade my windows 2003 to windows server 2008 But you all know Enterprise Edition can't be upgraded to Standard Edition and I want to clean install and also can't afford to buy new machine(server) so I have to use my existing hardware! I also want to my active directory and their polices & users to be migrated to windows server 2008. How could is possible? If I would have new hardware then it wouldn't be a big issue but I want to install it to my same Machine this is creating a big issue.
    Please guide me that How can I migrate my Active Directory (Domain) to Windows 2008?
    Thanks Alot experts...........

Re: Migrating from 2003 to 2008 How???

Find a spare workstation and use it as a temporary server for the migration (you have 120 day evaluation using your 2K8 media without a product key)

Install 2K8 on temp
    Install DNS
    Copy files etc.
    DCPROMO to demote old server (FSMOs should transfer)
    Nuke old server
    Install 2K8 with license key
    Install DNS, DHCP etc
    unpromote temp server

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Migrating from 2003 to 2008 How???

No need for a spare workstation as Virtual PC, VMware Server will work just as well

Other than that the steps Ossian gave you will work a treat.

I will add these though

Prep your forest prior to installing your first 2008 DC

Also start reading through some of these on Google