Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with printer in RDP on 2008 x64.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with printer in RDP on 2008 x64.

Hi,

I'm having some problems printing in RDP on 2008 Server x64. I'm testing from a Windows XP x86 SP3 client.

I did configure several 2003 Server before in RDP and never had problems doing so. I used to copy the exact same version of the drivers on the client and the server. I did the same thing on the 2008 but that won't work. I tried "disabling" the Easy printer driver feature of 2008 through gpedit but that didn't help as well.

The event ID i get is:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Printers
    Date: 7/22/2010 3:07:06 PM
    Event ID: 1111
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Driver HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.1) required for printer HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.1) is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

I didn't have any problem with the Microsoft XPS printer, so, i guess the mapping works just fine and there's something wrong adding the drivers (path maybe ?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

trep
    Last edited by trep; 27th July 2010, 19:09.

Re: Problem with printer in RDP on 2008 x64.

Hi,

I got the printer to map today by installing the 64 bits drivers on the server. The client is 32 bits. I tried to print a test page and it failed (of course..):

PCL XL error
    Subsystem: KERNEL
    Error: UnsupportedProtocol
    Operator: 0x0
    Position: 0

Am i running into a dead end trying to map a printer from a 32 bits client on a 64 server ?

Comment

I have dozens of x86 clients mapping to printers on my 2008R2 64 bit Terminal Server.

Why are you trying to disable the easy print driver, if the easy print driver cant be used then it will default to a working driver if available in my experience.

If your printer is unsupported on Windows 2008, there are lots of 3rd party apps to allow you to print.

I have used one called thinprint (www.thinprint.com), this does not require client drivers installed on the server and it transforms the driver on the server to match the client, works a treat, but it's not cheap. Comes in handy when you have a lot of different client printers that are not going to be supported.

I can assure you though that the problem is not the 32/64 bit issue, but the printer is probably not supported on Windows 2008R2.

You have a few options ;

1. Install a 3rd party app like the one I mentioned.
      2. Find drivers that work
      3. Buy a new printer.

I hope this has been of help.

What printer is it that your client has? is it one of the old favourite HP USB Officejets ? (notoriously bad in TS environments)

Ste
      Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated !

I tried with 2 printers:

HP LaserJet 1320n (networked)
        HP OfficeJet 6500 AIO (e709n) (networked)

Both have Windows 2008 drivers available (32 and 64 bits), so i believe they're compatible with 2008 server hehe

I tried something today, instead of using the HP Universal drivers, i downloaded the latest drivers for the LaserJet 1320 (PCL6). Installed both version on my client (x86) and also on the server (x86 as well) and still getting the message that the drivers aren't installed on the server.

Am I missing something here ? hehe

Also, regarding easy print, disabling it does only put the Easy print driver second in the check. So when you connect, the server will check for drivers on the server and then refer itself to the Easy print if it cannot find any suitable drivers (from what i've read).

Best regards,

trep

Comment

I have a question, exactly which drivers have you installed on the Server 2008 box? From my experience with TS and printing, you should install the client printing drivers on the Server, not the Server printer driver. Look for the XP 32bit printer driver for the printer and see if there is a PCL 5 or PCL 6. Don't install it as a printer on the server, just install the driver itself and it should print with no problems. Hope this helps.

Comment

As Simeon has pointed out, you must have the same driver being used on both client and server. This must be the exact same version.

You can uninstall any similar (conflicting) drivers from the client machine and the server by following this simple process (I would do this anyway as it sounds like there are lots installed)

1. Start Regedit
            2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3 (for 32 bit drivers)
            3. Look at the "dependent files" and "driver" and make a note of these
            4. Delete the printer from your printers folder
            5. Stop the print spooler service
            6. Delete all files that you identified in step 3
            7. delete the registry key
            8. repeat steps for all printers you wish to remove

This is a simple clean way to remove all the unwanted drivers that have been installed.

Once it has been cleaned out on both client and server, download the 32 bit driver that you wish to use on the client machine.

install this printer using this driver, and then install the exact same driver on your server.

Once this has been done and all printers match, the printer will just install without error.

There is an old fix for officejets that I used to use on Windows 2003 Ts which still may be applicable

1. Start Regedit
            2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR - (Important this is a current user and not a local machine setting)
            3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD value.
            4. Type FilterQueueType, and then press ENTER.
            5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
            6. In the value box type FFFFFFFF, and then click OK.

It really shouldn't be this hard. Good luck.

Ste
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, helpful information !

However, I solved the issue (which was not related to the drivers) hehe

I had to install the TS role on 2008. Everything worked out after that. It's just very annoying that the message appearing in the event log said the drivers weren't installed.

Anyway, thanks for the help again !

trep

Comment

Working...
              X