Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 2008 Server then deploying to new site

Hi,

The company I work for are shortly moving to new premises, and I would like to take this opportunity to start moving over to Windows Server 2008, as all my servers are currently Windows Server 2003.

The plan I have is to install a new 2008 server on my current network at the old office, promote it to a domain controller, then disconnect it and deploy it on its own at the new office.

The reason for doing this is so that new PCs I am deploying at the new office can log onto the network there for the first time, get tested, have software deployed, etc while the original office is still up and running. The 2008 DC server will not be connected to the rest of the network back at the old office, not even by VPN. The network will exist half and half in two separate locations, at the original office and at the new office.

The 2008 DC will remain disconnected from the network for three weeks. After that time, the original office will close and the original 2003 servers / DCs will move to the new office, and hook up again with the 2008 DC. Then I assume active directory will replicate the new PCs from the 2008 DC to the original 2003 DCs.

My question is, is this viable? Are there any potential issues? My only concern is that once the current 2003 domain controllers detect the new 2008 domain controller on the network, will essential services pass over to the 2008 DC, so that when it is disconnected, will it cause problems?

Naturally I assume I could run with this plan without any problems if the new DC was 2003?

Thank you.

Re: Adding 2008 Server then deploying to new site

Depending on the number of new PCs etc being added, you may run out of RIDs and, with no access to the RIDMaster FSMO, the server will give up on joining / creating new objects. This is for 2008 and 2003. You could, of course, transfer FSMOs to the new DC first, but you might then hit problems back in the original office

Why can't you have a temporary VPN -- it would make life much easier
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you have a DC sitting in AD but is no longer physically accessible, this will cause you problems.

Ossian hit the nail on the head. If you are using one single domain name, just knock together a quick site to site VPN and pop the DCs into different sites.

Ste
      Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Depending on the number of new PCs etc being added, you may run out of RIDs and, with no access to the RIDMaster FSMO, the server will give up on joining / creating new objects. This is for 2008 and 2003. You could, of course, transfer FSMOs to the new DC first, but you might then hit problems back in the original office

Why can't you have a temporary VPN -- it would make life much easier
        Hi,

Thanks for that. I aim to deploy 50-60 PCs.

Creating a VPN may be an issue as the ISPs at each office control the firewall (I do not have write access) and the ISP at the original office may not be in a position to configure it for us. Is there a firewall option that works without having to perform any firewall configuration whatsoever?

Comment

What sort of firewall?
          Since you are paying the ISP, you should be in a position to TELL them what you need and they should do it!

There are various VPN over HTTPS products that might help if needed:
          http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X