No announcement yet.

Add Security Group

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Security Group

I have a new domain with a domain controller and a terminal server. I am trying to add a security group to the remote desktop users on the terminal server, but am unable to. When I try to add the group, I am able to find it in active directory, but when I press OK, the icon of the group has a question mark on it. No user in the added group can login to the terminal server. I think I've had this issue in the past, but I cannot remember the cause or what I did to resolve it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I uploaded a screenshot of the icon I'm talking about.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dsar; 18th July 2010, 23:13.

Re: Add Security Group

What version of Server 2008 and what SP?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Add Security Group

Check to make sure that the Remote user group is not a member of the the user group.

Also, just want to confirm, when you say the group on the Terminal server, you mean the Group for the Term server, ON the DC? You are not trying to create a local group on the TS and use that as part of your AD?

Anyhow, make sure that your not setting up a nested look in the AD with "Group A in Group B in Group A".

Can you add other groups to the Remote users group, and if so, can you add the users group to some other group?

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
      IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".