No announcement yet.

How to move 2003 Enterprise DC to 2008 Std; when in-place upgrade not supported

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move 2003 Enterprise DC to 2008 Std; when in-place upgrade not supported

Hello all,

In my office I have a W2003 Enterprise Server set up with a couple of clients (PCs). Current server functionality info at the end if you need it.

I want to upgrade/migrate/install to W2008 Std on the same hardware. I know in-place upgrade is not supported given the OS versions involved. Since there is no budget for buying 2008 Enterprise or buying another machine, I will install W2008 Std which I already have a license for. I understand this will be much like a new installation and likely very time consuming, but I'd like to know how to save some effort.

At the least, I would like to keep the Domain/Server name, the users and groups and their SIDs/GUID. I believe this would save me from re-doing file permissions on the data disks, migrating user profiles on the clients. I believe there's no way around re-configuring all the server services and application software re-installation.

Possible Approaches to Evaluate
    In general, one could
    1. Install a new W2008 DC on a different machine, have the AD replicate to that, (need to update the AD schema, and probably a couple of other things)
    2. Demote, retire the 2003 on the original machine
    3. Perform a fresh W2008 install on the original machine with the original Server name
    4. Replicate the AD from the second 2008 server to this 2008 on the original hardware, etc and leave it as the remaining sole DC

Is this feasible in general?

If one does not have additional hardware for a second DC, could the above be done using a Virtual Machine as the second DC (the 2008 DC used as a trampoline)?

Is there any other method to achieve my Objective of preserving Domain/Server name, Users, Groups, SID/GUIs?

Any help or links to references is appreciated. Thanks.
    Ivan Torres

Server Functionalities (I'd need to restore/re-install/reconfigure)
    - RRAS and VPN
    - FTP folder structure and permissions
    - 3 different IIS websites
    - User home folder Shares and Offline Folders
    - recreate login scripts
    - recreate backup and other scheduled jobs
    - Sharepoint Services (I would likely skip this migration as it could be more work than the test data in there is worth, and it could be recreated)

- Application and utility software
    - etcetera

Re: How to move 2003 Enterprise DC to 2008 Std; when in-place upgrade not supported

more or less sounds right.

don't forget to move the FSMO roles each time
    don't forget to update the schema
    yes, a virtual machine could be used
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: How to move 2003 Enterprise DC to 2008 Std; when in-place upgrade not supported

Make sure you leave plenty of time for replication before demoting the old server. Having phoned Microsoft support once, the advice I was given was that leaving it for a week () would be a good idea. We had a problem even after leaving it for 36 hours when there was no other traffic on the network to slow anything down.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Thanks for the answers. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I guess I'm subconsciously putting this off as long as I can, but the time has come when my primary drive is reporting bad blocks and presenting ominous signs.

tehcamel - I like the sounds "more or less" right. ha, ha Yeah, the devil is in the details. I will try to create the virtual machine and see how it goes... I can test the whole procedure without destroying the original domain.

gforceind - I'll check the replication carefully, but the AD objects are not many and I can check everything is there easily.

I also have re-evaluate if I want to keep my current drive letter assignments or not and handle that as I create the VM and restore it to physical hardware. Right now, the machine is dual-boot with XP on C: and Win2003 on D: (logical drives on same disk)

Thanks again.