Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Authentication without AD

Hello,

I have a lot of servers and they have their local users and passwords. In fact, it comes weakness and diffuculy when managing.

I look at a central authentication method but i can't use active directory, because my windows servers is "web" edition. Windows 2kX Web edition can't join active directory, actually i know in this wise. And another case, i have Linux servers in our server farm.

How can i do in this situation? Can anybody recommend me how-to document or anyway?

Thank you for all.

Re: Central Authentication without AD

I think for cross-platform central use your only option is RADIUS. Can't help you much beyond that as I only have experience of RADIUS (or IAS) in Windows 2003 environments, and the Web Edition won't support the IAS role.

The other option is purchasing another server and implementing AD. Web Edition can be a domain member, just not a DC, although you'd probably still need RADIUS for the Linux servers. Sorry I can't be more help, I know very little about Linux.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I beleive that you can configure Linux to act as a directory master. I know it can definitely be a member of a domain.

Look into things like samba, or ldap.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You can use openLDAP on a Linux server, though it might cost you some time to configure it. On the windows systems you probably need pGina.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

IMHO you would be as well to upgrade a couple of servers to regular 2K8 and implement AD -- you know it will work out of the box and you gain all sorts of benefits like Group Policy that an alternative LDAP will probably not provide
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do agree with you Tom, but if there isn't the budget for it, I can imagine that openLDAP might be helpful.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

No mention of limited budgets, and remember "time is money" when doing the evaluations
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Chances are that if budget was an issue, they wouldn't have bought Server 03 Web Edition when you can achieve pretty much the same thing with Linux so unless the OP comes back to us saying implementing AD would cost too much, then I would agree that it seems to be the way forward.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X