Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble joining srvr2k8 64bit to existing srvr2k3 32bit domain

Greetings everyone,

I'm new here and I'm really hoping some of you can help. I'll try to be clear and concise.

A while back the main server here had issues and was re-installed. It's name before the reinstall was jehu.domain.org the same name was used after re-installing. I'm mentioning this upfront because I think that might have been a mistake using the same name.
    Jehu was the main server holding all the FSMO roles and it still is. There are 3 other domain controllers in the network also. ACAD, JHLS, and BCSRVR.
    All servers are running server 2003 32bit. Though some are r2 and others sp1.

I'm trying to install Active directory domain services on a new Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit server. Firstly can this work? Will this server integrate into this 2003 32bit domain?

The errors I'm getting are with adprep /forestprep
    I'm running adprep on the schema master, jehu
    Error= Adprep was unable to extend the schema

The error then tells you to use the sites and services snap-in to replicate the schema. I've done this, hasn't helped.

Since there are different versions of ADPREP;
    I've tried the version off the server2k8 r2 64bit disk, gives the error above
    I've tried the version off the server2k3 32bit disk, this works

However the 2008 server has this error during DCpromo;

Failed to examine the Active Directory Forest, Expected value ridMasterDSA.parentDN not found.

I've tried to change the schema master to another server but I get errors doing this.

I'll stop for now, I hope one of you can assist in this.

Thanks.

Re: trouble joining srvr2k8 64bit to existing srvr2k3 32bit domain

yes. you can use this new server in your current domain.

the architecture (x86/x64) won't matter at all. The two levels of OS (2003, 200 will cohabitate perfectly.

You must run Adprep on the forest master. You'll probably need to use Adprep from a Windows 2008 X32 cd. (the reason for this is your current server architecture is x32, not x64 and the adprep tool from an x64 arch won't run on an x32 arch. It instals the same information though.)

It's kind of like trying to run Outlook for x64 on an X32 platform, it just doesn't work.

Are you certain that jehu is the master ? You should use the metadata utility, or the sites an services snapins to confirm that jehu is indeed the master, especially since you said you reinstalled it.

You may not have a master at the moment, but that's ok - there's ways to deal with this.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel,
      I'm glad to hear that this is at least supposed to work.

To this point I've read and tried many things.

I'll try to outline what I've tried so far.

Have tried ntdsutil and run the metadata cleanup. I saw the same 4 DC's that I was expecting to see
      ACAD, JHLS, JEHU and BCSRVR, to my disappointment there was no old server metadata.

I've tried ADPREP from
      Server2008 r2 64bit disk this also had an adprep32.exe tool, tried also and failed.
      server 2008 sp2 disk
      server 2003 32bit disk, this one succeeds but doesn't seem to effect the prep changes that the 2008 dcpromo is looking for.

As far as schema masters and confirming roles I'll have to do this tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have a master but perhaps with your help we can confirm this.

Comment

what happens if you try adprep /domainprep ?

(there's 3 options, /domainprep /forestprep and /gpprep)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

When I try domainprep it tells me to first run forestprep.

Another thing I tried was to change the schema master from Jehu to BCSRVR. I used the mmc snap-in schmmgmt but this fails for some sort of connection reason. I'm at home now and I can't remember the exact message. My reason for trying was that I couldn't run adprep on Jehu because of schema sync issues, since adprep has to be run on the schema master I thought perhaps making another DC the schema master might be a work around.

Comment

yo uare running all these commands and functions as a domain/enteprise admin right ?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              yo uare running all these commands and functions as a domain/enteprise admin right ?
              I am controlling the server with RDP. I'm logged in as administrator though. Shortly I'll try logging in locally to the actual server to see if that changes anything.

EDIT

I logged in directly to the machine as administrator and the same errors occur.
              Last edited by sonicsteve; 9th July 2010, 14:23.

Comment

Sorry for the double post but I wanted this to be a separate thought from the other track.

Is there a way to change a registry setting that will tell the server that it has replicated the schema? I wondering because I have indeed been able to replicate the schema but adprep seems to think it hasn't happened.

I used the AD sites and services snap in and successfully synced to every server. So if the registry has a setting that AD prep is looking for perhaps it can be changed.

Comment

OK so I ran DCdiag and some of the issues may be related to
                  Jehu failed test KnowsOfRoleHolders"

Even though using other tools I seems that Jehu is the holder of all 5 roles.

Most searches keep coming back to the issue of needing to seize the roles from the server and decommission it. Any thoughts?
                  Last edited by sonicsteve; 9th July 2010, 16:32.

Comment

i think you might need to buddy.
                    Everything else is telling you that jehu is the role holder, but jehu thinks it isn't.

just remmeber that once you've seized some of these roles, tyhey can't be mirgated back again to the original host.
                    You're better off just decommissioning that server, and renaming it if you still need it to be a dc.

Comment

Seize the roles, demote your Jehu dc, clean up your metadata if there are any "leftovers" from your jehu dc, format it, and bring it back as a DC.
                      If he is a DC only it will just take a few hours without anyone will notice.

Run dcdiag and netdiag to see if anything is fine again. If it is, continue with adprep.

This is what I would do
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys,

I've been able to complete phase 1, of the decommissioning, get the main database transfered to a different server.

I'll go with this path because it just seems that there are some underlying issues that need to be fixed to move forward.

Steve

Comment

The operation has been successful, thanks to you guys. I thought you might like an update and conclusion to this.

I backed up all data,
                          Transfered the main database app to a new server, and got it fully working.
                          I then took the server off the network, JEHU
                          Seized all FSMO roles onto BCSRVR, the same server that now hosts the DB app.
                          Cleaned up metadata relating to JEHU
                          Then ran ADPREP /forestprep, then /domainprep and /gpprep on Bcsrvr. I used the adprep32.exe command since I was promoting a 64bit server and running the command on a 32bit DC.

All adprep commands succeeded.
                          Then installed DCpromo on the server and success!!

I would love to know if there was a way to have restored the roles without seizing them.

Comment

probably not based on your scenario - the sreves alll thought jehu had the roles, jehu didn't think they did

it may have been possible to do deep metabase editing, but seizing is just simpler...

Comment

Glad you solved it...
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X