Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2008 standard, network icon taskbar suggests no internet

Hi,

I've got a strange problem... basically the network icon on the taskbar shows local only access despite the fact I have internet access on the server. If I reboot the server, or the router, it goes back to internet access... This wasn't a huge problem at first and I just thought maybe it was a network card glitch of some sort... but it turns out at random times the server looses dns. While browsing pages, the browser comes up with a netwrok error, and won't open the page, but it will be all fine after a few seconds. I'm using a netgear dn2000 router. Not sure whether this is a glitch in the router or it's happening because the server is configured incorrectly. All clients on the network have no problems with the internet connection. They all receive their ip and dns info from the sbs 2008 box. Local network operates fine as well; exchange & shared drives are all good. One more thing, very rarely I loose internet connection on the whole network, I solve this by a router reboot.

Please Help!

Cengiz

Re: server 2008 standard, network icon taskbar suggests no internet

What do you mean by the server "loses DNS"?

How is DNS configured? The server and clients should all point to the SBS server for DNS. The router's IP address or ISP DNS servers should be configured as forwarders in the DNS console on the server, they shouldn't be configured in the TCP/IP properties for the network card.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

possibly wasn't the correct way of describing the problem... simply no internet

server is pointing to itself as the dns, and the clients are pointing to the server... the router is set as a forwarder and nothing has been entered to the TCP/IP settings manually...

Comment

Ok. Make sure the router is running the latest firmware - Netgear's products have a reputation for locking up every so often. If you check the release notes for their firmware, you'll see there's usually a long list of known issues. Make sure the router is getting adequate ventilation as they can also tend to overheat.

Regarding the model you have, a quick Google search reveals a number of very scathing reviews, so you might want to consider replacing it with another model.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you mean the little "globe" icon on the task bar, I have found it quite often shows "local only" when it is clear you ARE actually on the internet, so I ignore it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by cengiz View Post
            possibly wasn't the correct way of describing the problem... simply no internet

server is pointing to itself as the dns, and the clients are pointing to the server... the router is set as a forwarder and nothing has been entered to the TCP/IP settings manually...

so you only have the one serve ? because above, you said all servers and clients point to the sbs server for dns , and then you said this server points to itself.. so is this server the sbs server ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X