File Server Migration 2003 SP2 > 2008 SP2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Server Migration 2003 SP2 > 2008 SP2

I've a File Server1 running Windows Server 2003-SP2 and I'd like to copy all data form all drives to a New File Server2 which is running Windows 2008-SP2. I'd like to keep the same server name on the New File Server (we'll swap the names from Server 1 to 2).

1) What is the best way and practice to perform this task?
    2) Should I use Robocopy or fsmigrate_x86.msi using Windows File Migration Tool?
    3) When we use Windows File Migration Tool, does it actually move all the data to the new server or does it just copy/ mirror it?
    4) Is there any free File Copy Tool available which will copy all data along with NTFS persmissions?
    5) When the name change will occur, will it smoothly change the SID / Server Name on all folder's NTFS or not, or do we have to recreate all NTFS permissions on all folders?

Thank You in advance

Re: File Server Migration 2003 SP2 > 2008 SP2

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
    3) When we use Windows File Migration Tool, does it actually move all the data to the new server or does it just copy/ mirror it?
    Maybe a question you could answer yourself by experimenting with the tool in a virtual setup?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I usually use FSMT. It will mirror all shares to the new server, and then when you finalise the migration it will share the folders on the new server and stop sharing them on the old.

SBS migration document recommends using Robocopy rather than FSMT though, and pre-creating the new shares on the new server. AFAIK it does copy the NTFS permissions so if that is a requirement Robocopy is probably the way to go.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Cruachan: I tried Robocopy and it copies NTFS but it transfers Domain Accounts properly but not the local accts,, I see only SID values for local accts.

If I'll move forward with FSMT, at what point it'll stop sharing on the old server? I'd like to keep some folders/files shared on the old server name as well? I'll change the Server Name later on.

If I'l change the New Server Name to the Old Server Name, will it bust all the NTFS permissions in there?
        Thanks

Comment

I'd expect that with Local Accounts. I think you'd need to mirror the local accounts on the target server in advance.

FSMT stops sharing the source share when you finalise the move, at that point the new server shares go active as well. One thing to watch with FSMT is the share names, the default shares are oldservername_sharename or something like that.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I used robocopy for a while, but for years now I have been using Total Commander for my file copying. It copies all files including NTFS permissions with a nice easy to use GUI interface.

http://www.ghisler.com/

It's worth a look.

Ste
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Hmmm personally I stick with robocopy
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X