Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file managment win 2k8 srv

Hello

I`m installing Netapp storage which supports CIFS for windows file sharing.

The question is:

Does windows Server 2008 has any special interesting features regarding file and print sharing?

If so, Can I use Windows 2008 SRV to manage the file sharing even if the files are located on the Netapp as CIFS or should I install a virtual 2008 server and than manage the file on a "local" drive?

Many thanks

Re: file managment win 2k8 srv

Originally posted by oriba View Post
    Does windows Server 2008 has any special interesting features regarding file and print sharing?
    How are you defining special or interesting?

Are you asking if you can use Windows Server's File Server Management features to manage shares on the NetApp? If so, I would guess not. Try it and see?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes, windows has countless special features.

you could probably find them by reading the relevant literature.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for your fast respond.

I usually read the relevant literature before I ask such questions but now I`m really short in time....

I`m intresting in features such as:
        self restore of different file version by the user
        Fast search
        finding duplicate files
        different type of indexing
        and maybe there are some hot features that I didn't event think about...

Can somebody point me to a specific doc (I will look for such my self but it would be nice to save time ...)

Does anyone knows a way to "Map" or make the virtual server to see the Netapp volume as a physical drive? (Or any other way to enjoy the 2008 srv file sharing.

Thanks

Comment

Self restore is technically called "shadow copy"
          No native way of finding duplicates AFAIK

Also AFAIK, NAS devices cannot be shared from a server
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I`m really short in time
            That sounds like you're rushing into a project. You really should take some time to plan and research first. Less haste more speed.

Or any other way to enjoy the 2008 srv file sharing
            Use Windows 2008 as a file server?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X