Checking Domain Controller Status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Domain Controller Status

Hey guys. This is my first post. I know of a dos command that shows the status of a domain controller for server 2003 and 2008. You can use this command to check the status of the DC remotely The command doesn't have to be done on the DC. The command shows back the active sharing sysvol folder. If the server shows the Sysvol Folder than I'm almost sure that the Domain controller is good. Please let me know everyone. Thanks!!!

Re: Checking Domain Controller Status

tried dcdiag ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hey thanks for the response. The command isn't dcdiag. I think I found it and it is net view \\servername

Comment

All that will let you see is what shares the server has. That really isn't a valid diagnostic of the status of a DC. For that, you would need to run dcdiag, as suggested.

Any server could have a SYSVOL share, even a member server.

Even if a DC has a SYSVOL share, it doesn't tell you the status of DNS, or replication, or...
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

net view \\servername

will basically tell you if the server service is running, and the names of the shares.

i could create a share named sysvol$ on any server, and according to your test, it would be a domain controller.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

OK duly noted. I read a forum about a month ago and someone said to use net share to see if the sysvol and netlogon shows up. I will rely on dcdiag from this point on. Thanks for your responses and explanations.

Comment

By all means do that (an alternative would be to enter "\\server" at a Run box to see the shares), it's just not going to give you a real diagnostic of the current state of play.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X