Server 2008 R1 PIA!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R1 PIA!!!

Is server 2008 R1 really such a pain in the Ar$3 as it appears??

We have 7x 2008 R1 domain with 200ish xp Workstations

7 different sites, sites setup with IPs etc so workstations know which server to talk to

There are NO scripts but are trying roaming profiles

when logging on with or without a roaming profile the logon can tak 10-25 minutes to complete!

Now we have seen the same setup with server 2003 and logon is MAX 5 mins with a large profile

Is there something wrong with server 2008 & XP or should we just give up and reinstall with 2003 & XP??

Any help/advice appreciated before we jump off large building

Thanks

Re: Server 2008 R1 PIA!!!

check dns.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yups there is something wrong.
      Indeed most certainly it's DNS.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

DNS, Yes, everyone says DNS

Have checked DNS at each site

Pinging the server Name is OK

pinging the domain.local returns the correct server IP for the site

What else in DNS should we check to help the issue??

Have had a chat with someone else thats installed SBS2008 in place of their old SBS2003 and they say they have noticed a massive slowdown in access from their XP workstations

We have also tried it withm SMB 2.0 enabled & Disabled with no difference

Thanks for swift relies already!

Comment

On the hardware side, weve upgraded 2 of our server from basic dual core 4Gig intel servers to
          12 Gig, dual Quad core, which made minimal diffrence (runnig enterprise x32 for tha RAM!)

Each server is a GC, DC with DNS

Thanks

Comment

Sounds like an AD site issue to me, no way should it be taking that long. Make sure all the sites are properly configured in AD and clients in each site are using local DNS servers and local shares for their profiles.

I have to say though, Roaming Profiles are a bad idea. Well, they are a good idea but unless things have changed in 2008 from 2003 they don't work properly. I've always found it much easier to just use My Docs Redirection and any other folders you require. Roaming Profiles tend to corrupt over time, and are almost always defeated by someone insisting that yes their 50gb iTunes library must be kept on their desktop and backed up to the server.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

THanks cruachan, any suggestions on where to start with AD issues??

The slow logons happen it theres a roamin profile path or not?!??!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bart586 View Post
                any suggestions on where to start with AD issues
                dcdiag and maybe Googling "troubleshoot active directory".
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Do administrators take as long to log on?
                  What about a Local Computer user? Do they take a long time to log on?
                  What GPO's are applied during user Log On?

Have found more then once that premissions in some temp/windows folders will slow the log on process to a halt. Found it happened most with users using a Vista and XP OS, as the user folder stuctures are so different.

Also, I can not remember exactuly what it was, but I do remember there is a network test during the user logon that you can disable. I can not remember any more, as it was years ago, but we had to do this on a site that had a 10mbit router in the middle of the network we could not replace.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

Besides a Dcdiag, show us an ipconfig /all from a dc and a client.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

The biggest majority of AD issues are linked to DNS problems so make sure that the sites each have the local DNS server as there primary DNS. I would then use the remote site as a forwarder.

What size are the profiles and where are they being loaded from???

Read this??

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-2a69a73871a5/

Comment

What is Server 2008 R1? I do not know that version.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I assume the release before R2
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Just worked out we weren't talking about this PIA either

Confirm you have ADSS set up properly and DCs are in the correct site, also that SRV records exist to locate them properly

Anything in event logs?
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Weve checked all these things, each site has DNS, each site is in its correct IP range in sites

Even when non-domain laptops/iphones come in, they get a IP address ok and then access the internet slowly and is slow at responding to DNS requests and basic file sharing

Weve managed to get the use of a Fluke network monitor , so going to show what this throws up, Otherwise its curtains for server 2008, we'll go back to the much quicker 2003!

THanks all

Comment

Working...
                              X