No announcement yet.

Backup on windows 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup on windows 2008

Dear all

Im trying to schedule a weekly backup for some specific folders on my windows 2008 server,but i didnt find an option Weekly backup,like in windows 2003 gave all these options. So i found some scripts,but i dont know how to take a specific folder back,eg;i wanted to take Two folders from my D:\ drive and one folder from my E:\ drive. How to take back up using below script?

wbadmin start backup -include:c:,d:,e: -backupTarget:\\SERVER\SHARE -quiet

here its taking full backup of C:,D: and E: . i wante only few specific folders.

Appreciate your help

Re: Backup on windows 2008

Unfortunately, the backup system provided with 2008 doesn't allow you to do individual files or folders.

My source is here:

The specific implementation that Microsoft has provided has the following characteristics:
    • You can only select entire volumes for backup, not individual files and directories.
    • The resulting backup file is a VHD file
    • The backup is a selective image - not a forensic clone - of the source volumes. This means that things like blank space, the page file, hibernate file, and certain folders are not backed up.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Backup on windows 2008

Use Robocopy instead. Write a batch file:

robocopy <source> <destination> /E /XO /copy:dats

include a line for each folder, then schedule the batch file using Task Scheduler.

/E = copy subfolders
      /XO = update only new or changed files
      /copy:dats = copy basic security attributes
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy