Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor who is logging onto a server (Was: Log)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor who is logging onto a server (Was: Log)

Dear All,

Need your help, can we know who was log in to the server for certain time (for example at office hour) ?

Because I've tried looking at eventvwr but it seems no information about who was logged in to the servers

Thank you.

venmii

Re: Log

you need to enable logon auditing.

then the events will go to the security log.

This is a big subject. Suggest you read technet to evaluate which events you require audited.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You can get applications that will go though the secruity log and give you a timeline of when users where logged one. If it is for a exact time, you could go though the event logs yourself, but thats one long task.

If this is something that you need as a on going thing, the easiest way i have found is Logon script that Writes the user name, Data/time into a globle txt file. Each time a user logs on it notes they time, and when the user logs off, the same thing happens. You then import into excel, and you can make lots of pretty little bar graphs for time of day. (Edit: This is normally for small companys that can not afford the hours it takes to log trawl, or the software to do it for them.)

Wofen
      Last edited by Wofen; 29th June 2010, 08:11.
      Good to be back....

Comment

Dear All,

Sorry my mistake. The log what I need is people who was logged on locally to the server. This server is DC. We currently do some analyze that only several people able to log on locally to the server (by console/remote)

Can I?

Thank you.
        venmii

Comment

Re: Monitor who is logging onto a server (Was: Log)

Yes.

I already gave you pointers to the information you need to be able to provide a solution.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Tehcamel,

Ok I see. It seems Logon Audit has been enabled. Is there any way to export eventviewer details/properties into csv format? (maybe this is another case)

So we able to export evntvwr not only the log but eventvwr properties/details as well.

So we can know who has logged on to DC by console or remote.

This is Windows 2008R2 Server

Thank you.
            venmii

Comment

Yes. There are ways to achieve your aim.

You could find it by googling with appropriate terms.

Comment

Easiest way is to use Powershell -- something like:
                Code:
                get-eventlog -logname Security |export-csv -path ("C:\Logs\Seclog.csv")
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X