Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with server

Dear all,

First all of HI and sorry for bad english.

I am having major issue with Win2k8 server running Virtual.

Lemme explain.

I have machine that urns virtual box on it with exchange, DNS, DHCP and everything is working ok for around 24 hours after that machine goes down and I need it to restart to start working again.

It just goes down, I cant ping it, cant access no either virtual no either normal machine over network.

I am thinking that exchange is problem ..? Any solutions what to check? What to do?

Hdd's are fine and ok... system updated, no viruses.

Thank you very much!

Regards!

Re: Problem with server

So is the server you have problems with the physical host server that has the virtual machines on it or one of the Virtual Machines?

Comment

Both, when virtual machine goes down I cant access physical anymore because virtual machine has DHCP, DNS and everything for network functioning so "network" is down ....

Comment

I had a box like that -- would run without problems for about 24-36 hours and then totally unresponsive. Eventually tracked it down to the PSU being slightly flaky -- once that was swapped out, it has worked fine.

But we need more info, especially anything in hardware logs on the host
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I will restart box in a 10 minutes and will post it here everything.

I think it's not PSU, I think exchange making problems with limit.

In last 2 weeks I didnt got that kinda problem, only exchange didnt worked, I restarted exchange service and after that all worked but suddenly 2 days agoo I got this problem.

What else do you need?

Thank you

Comment

OK, lets start with hardware specs
            What OSes you are running?
            Then configuration of VMs

At the moment we know you have a box with Exchange -- not clear if its physical or virtual

Note if Exchange is on the virtual box, but the physical one crashes, it is NOT likely to be Exchange
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Exchange is on virtual like DNS, DHCP

It not crashes, I can access locally to phisically machine but cant over network because he f***s up network so after that doesnt work

I think 80 % it's exchange ... and limit
              Last edited by Ossian; 28th June 2010, 07:41.

Comment

Now cant access it anymore over network, going to try locally

Comment

I have edited an unacceptable word from your post above -- we may occasionally use it in the coffee lounge area but it is not professional in the main forum.

Can you please review and answer the questions you have been asked and we may be able to help further -- in particular, I dont think we have a clear picture of what the physical and virtual machines are doing and how they are configured.

Is the LAN card (or do you have several) on the physical host set to go to sleep or power save mode?
                  What virtualisation solution are you using?
                  What do you mean in post #3 about "when virtual machine goes down"? Does it crash or just lose communication?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Although DNS and DHCP fails, it doesn't meant that your physical machine is failing.
                    Is there any ip connectivity left, eg does it respond to ping <ip address of the physical host> ?
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

do oyu have any antivirus on the problematic host ?

In particular, Trend micro client/server suite ?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sorry for delay posting.

Server crashed, I mean virtual machine failed to start because od disk space.

Guy who installed server, did fixed virtual image of 100 gb, server gone over 100 gb and all the time failing to resume and crashing down.

Today I moved VM machine to another HDD, rebuilded into dynamic image and run it and now works like charm.

That guy who did installation, maked vey bad installation.

He installed W2k8 server on physical machine, on Hyper-V installed complete
                        AD, exchange, DNS, DHCP, firewall, and when VM machine doesnt work NOTHING doesnt work locally. What do you think about that?

We fixed problem now, we will see in about 23-48 hours how server will work.

Thanks for fast replies, this forum rocks. I will invite some buddies here to help others !!

Comment

100GB is a lot of disk space to fill up for an install.
                          It wasn't unusual for us to do 60GB installations, full enterprise, AD, DNS< DHCP, for 150plus user sites, and not fill up that 60GB.

and while I'll agree, yes, it may not have been appropriate in your situation, what it DOES highlight to me, is some serious flaws in not only the ongoing system maintenance and monitoring that should be in place for critical servers, but also basic troubleshooting and fault analysis being displayed by the administrators working in the environment.

Personally, I would have expected my junior engineers to have take appropriate action when drives exceeded 90% volume utilisation. Not only that, but as an administrator or engineer, personally myself, I would have setup various triggers and alerts, so that the server would never get to a critical stage as that.

and if it DID, then I'd do basic troubleshooting first, which, had it been done, would have resulted in this thread not existing.

that said, I'm glad you sorted it out.
                          Last edited by tehcamel; 28th June 2010, 22:33.
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                          X