Clear All

• WDS on 2008 R2

Hello,

Platforms:
    Server 2008 R2
    Dell Latitude E6410

WDS:
    WDS Is on a separated server than dhcp.
    DHCP is not set (nor does it make a diff) for 66.67 options. PXE Boot is fine, correct files load regardless.
    boot.wim is from the windows 7 pro cd (tried the vista one and appears to be the same)
    Drivers from intel were loaded for networking.

Issue:
    During PE installation the laptop will successfully complete all steps up to actually installing the OS. I get it to "installing windows" and it instantly completes the "copying files" part. This seems incorrect as the file is 2.5+gb and even on gbit networks would take some time to copy. It the expands the files and installs features and reboots. Doesn't install drivers or do "completing installation" and then when it comes back up if left to boot as it should it goes to the "boot\bcd" error screen. (0xc000000f)

I've generated 2 sysprepped images via a couple different methods and I have logged errors on the server and laptop some and there are no errors. One warning generated from WDS that a client downgraded image install. Seems to do with not using multicast. No big deal.

Im really really frustrated as I've tried so many different suggestions and it's extremely time consuming, so if anyone can give me a hand that would be awesome!!!

Re: WDS on 2008 R2

Originally posted by sk1tt1sh View Post
    I've tried so many different suggestions
    Since you've not said what you've tried, is it not quite likely that you're going to get the same suggestions again?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I don't mind if I get repeats cuz I can ask questions about them. Maybe I'll find out something about what I've tried that I missed that is a background thing that wasn't explained or even mentioned.

Thanks you

Comment

Lets doit like this.

1. Installed WDS. WDS is separate from DHCP so did not configure 60 and 67.
        2. Got boot.wim from win7 pro x86 install media.
        3. Added network drivers to boot.wim (Now 7boot(x86).wim)
        4. Added that boot image to WDS
        5. Right clicked boot image and said "create capture image"
        6. Started up my laptop with xp on it made desired changes and sysprepped it.
        7. PXE booted laptop and selected "Capture image" and went through capture (note I was successfully able to upload the image to WDS server)
        8. Started up blank test-deploy laptop to PXE and selected "Deploy image" from boot images in WDS.
        9. Entered "domain\username" and pw.
        10. Clicked next.
        11. Deleted partition, made a new partition, formatted partition.
        12. Clicked install.
        13. Tried not to break laptop when \boot\bcd error occured. (0xc000000f)

Obviously I'm doing 1 part wrong. Everything else is perfect except something to do with something I'm doing incorrectly. I JUST DON'T KNOW WTF I'M DOING WRONG.

Please. I will paypal someone if they instruct me how to successfuly get this shit to work.

Comment

Have you checked the size of the captured image on the server to make sure it's about right? Unlikely that WDS is serving up a blank image, but it's a matter of seconds to check
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Add the install.wim image from the Windows 7 image to the WDS Server and then try deploying it. If it works you've got a bad image, if it doesn't you've got an image issue.

You are installing to an E6410, are you also capturing from an identical machine?
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X