Multicast Namespace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multicast Namespace

Know what a namespace is but 'multicast namespace' is not known. I only know that it is part of Server 2008 deployment services. Looking for the best explanation and possibly some reading sources.

Re: Multicast Namespace

Multicast in WDS is a method of minimising network traffic by sending one copy of the image to multiple targets.

Two modes (can't remember the exact names)
    One where WDS waits until all required clients have joined the session and then sends out the image once
    Other where it starts sending the image when the first client joins and loops it until all clients have finished. Client picks up in mid image and gets the start on the next loop

More stuff here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/guillaume...5/2711748.aspx
    (and on )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Two modes (can't remember the exact names)
      They are called Scheduled-cast and Auto-cast (I was teaching this the other day ).
      Scheduled-cast is the traditional multicast: the server awaits for all clients to connect and sends the image once, to all of them.
      Auto-cast starts sending the data at a specified time. Clients can connect any time. The server repeats the sending process until all the clients received the whole image.
      @MPhillip: I fear the term was misused. Can you point us to the original text? Or post a quote?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Thank you, Sorin
        I was teaching it at the beginning of last week and the names completely slipped my mind

I assume the "namespace" is a way of having many different configurations being broadcast simultaneously -- a client would join one or another.
        Will need to dig out the notes but 6416 didnt go in depth into the multicast process
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Will need to dig out the notes but 6416 didnt go in depth into the multicast process
          I am teaching 6418 at the moment, and there's no mentioning of "multicast namespace". The only reference to multispace is related to DFS. Thus, I would want to see the original text...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X