X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win 2008 r2 64bit frustrating performance/network

Hi everyone

2 outstanding, and very frustrating issues I am trying to resolve:

Issue #1 : Slow transfer speeds over a WAN connection: I have a distant site connected via a 10mpbs MPLS connection. Yes, we've already checked all the interfaces, everything is fine, no mismatches anywhere.

When I transfer a test file (250 mb) from a host on the distant site to my local server via drag and drop, I can achieve about 5-6 mbps of throughput.

When I do the same transfer using ftp : almost 9.2 of throughput.

Is this an inherent issue with SMB? What can be done to tweak it?

Issue #2: The nature of our work is CAD/Engineering. I've noticed very, very poor performance when opening CAD drawings from the distant site (distant site connects to my local site to get files). This is essentially opening a CAD project with hundreds of small linked files. Average performance over the same 10 mbps connection is about 1-2 mpbs of sustained traffic.

What are my options? We've checked everything on the network side. Switches, routers, everything is fine. We are looking at a Riverbed appliance, but what can be done to improve the performance of data transfers?
    Last edited by Ossian; 16th June 2010, 15:35. Reason: Mod removed urls

Re: win 2008 r2 64bit frustrating performance/network

SMB is pretty slow and a has a lot of overhead by nature. FTP has almost no overhead.
    Moving to SMB v2 can help a lot but you need vista/windows 7 for it.
    Further 10 megabit isn't really that fast too for a shared line.

I would also think about DFS. Since riverbed is a caching mechanism it might help just for frequently accessed files but yet again I don't know a lot of riverbed
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
    X