Choosing a Domain Name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Domain Name

I am about to set up an Active Directory server. The server just have Active directory, wds, dns, and dhcp installed on it as server roles. This is for Windows Server 2008. I am wondering how I should choose a domain name for my domain. We have a website, but it is not hosted by us. What should i be thinking about when choosing a domain name. The active directory server will be connected to a file server as well so the users can access the files there. Do I have to choose a ".com" name or can it be business.local or something to that effect. Thanks in advance

Re: Choosing a Domain Name

I advise against using a 'valid' Internet TLD for your AD domain, since if you use "domain.com" and someday want to access the domain.com website, you'll need to find a workaround. I personally use .lan and avoid using .local as that is used by default by various OSes.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

How should I choose what static ip address I give the active directory server? Our network gateway right now is 192.168.0.1. We are a small company. How do I configure forward/reverse lookup? Do I have to configure the desktops static ip addresses any certain way? They still need internet access as well. I tried to google this before I posted it, but alot of sites just show you how to change the ip address and don't explain what IP addresses to use. I'm not an IT guru, so bare with me. thanks in advance

Comment

Internal addressing is up to you -- you normally set up ports on your router to point to the correct server.
        For example:
        192.168.0.1 -- IP address of router
        192.168.0.2 -- IP address (static) of first server
        192.168.0.3 -- ditto second server
        192.168.0.201 -- IP address (static) of network printer

For the clients, set up DHCP on the Domain Controller and create a scope of addresses, for example 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.200. By default each client will ask for an address and get one from the pool, so the first will be 192.168.0.50, the next 192.168.0.51 and so on. Turn off DHCP on your router as the server does it better!

How large is your company -- if you anticipate being under 75 users for a while, look at Small Business Server as a lot of the configuration work is done for you using the Wizards.

If you don't go down that route, consider getting a consultant to plan and implement your network, it will be much quicker (and really cheaper) doing it that way
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply! On the active directory server, how do i know what to fill in for the fields on the image that I attached. Do i have the active directory server ip address and primary dns the same? I've heard that it is supposed to point to itself. I had the server structure and user computer setup in a virtual machine fine with the computer joined to the domain. I just don't know how it will play out in the real world with the ip addresses. I have most everything figured out except for the IP addressing. Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

The domain controller MUST have a static IP address and should point to itself for DNS
            When you ran DCPROMO you would have been given the option to install the DNS role on the server.

Where does the virtual machine come into it?

btw, tell us what server OS you are running (presumably 2008 from your firsr post) and anything else you can about your environment
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As far as the virtual machine goes, it was more or less to test things out. I had Windows Server 2008 with active directory on it, DNS, DHCP, ad WDS roles on it. I then had a "file server" vm that was running on a Windows server 2008 machine was well. I had another vm that was running Windows 7 Pro (what we are going to deploy). I had the Windows 7 machine on the domain so I could test out group policy and such to figure out how to manage the computers with in the future.

I basically have: Router, switch, windows server 2003(file server) right now. I need to implement an Active directory server into all of that. I have about 50 machines I will need to manage via active directory. I also have two main IP printers. I know that their ip addresses are 192.168.0.something lower than 50.

As far as the IP addressing goes, would it work to have the file server to be 192.168.0.2, and the AD/DNS server be 192.168.0.3. Do I have to set each computer with a static ip, or does DHCP take care of that? Thanks

Comment

IP addresses for individual servers do not matter, so what you propose is fine.
                As long as the DC (the AD/DNS server) has a static IP and has the DHCP service running on it, everything else can have a dynamic IP, although it makes sense to give static ones to servers. Clients shoud definitely use DHCP.

What experience do you have on this? -- it will be well worth getting a couple of books on AD, or invest in some of the TrainSignal courses
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I have some experience with it. I went to school for a year for computers and networking and then changed to be a web development major. All that we did on the computer side of things was virtual labs so I never really got to see the backend of things. I understand how it all works in the end but the IP addressing is what gets me and the forward and reverse lookup zones. I half understand what IP addresses need to go where. The file server is set up and i might just copy most of that machines ip configuration, except of course the ip address

On the client machines do I have to change the "primary dns server" and the "secondary dns server?" Or, can I just have that obtain dns server automatically? Thanks

Comment

Yes, you will have to have Primary DNS setting to be the DC's IP address for the clients to be able to even attach to the domain... That doesn't mean it cannot be taken automatically form DHCP, but it needs to be there...
                    Given the level of experience I see from your posts, I would suggest taking an external consultant to assist you. It will be very difficult to assist you through the forums. Especially because if you'll need immediate assistance, a forum is not a solution (you will have to hope that in that specific moment someone with the expertise will be logged in and see you need help).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X