No DNS host record created for new 2008 R2 servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No DNS host record created for new 2008 R2 servers

Newbie to this board. I've added 3 2008 R2 servers as member servers to my 2003 Domain and there is not host record created in DNS for any of these servers. My DC's are both 2003 servers and DNS and DHCP both run on these DC's. I thought Dynamic DNS is supposed to automatically create the host records.The new 08 servers have static IP's, point both the 2003 DNS servers, are running IPv4 with V6 disabled and ive tried a ipconfig /registerdns from cmd prompt of each with no luck. nslookup from another machine to any of these 3 servers fails. Is there some security in 08 r2 that has to be relaxed to allow it's dns info to be registered? Any suggestions?

Re: No DNS host record created for new 2008 R2 servers

Have you tried manually with ipconfig/registerdns?

No issues that I have seen in other mixed 2003/8 environments
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes, have tried that from all three servers with no luck.

Comment

What happens when you configure the 2008 servers IP properties to get an address automatically - i.e. remove the static addresses?

How is the DHCP scope setup? What address range does the scope cover and what are/were the static addresses? Are the machines on the the same subnet?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Check your firewalls ( on either side) are not blocking DNS packets
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

my dhcp scope for assignment runs from 192.168.1.25 to 200 and I have one exclusion set from .75 to .100. My servers are in in the .4 thru .24 range which isn't set as an exclusion range but also isn't part of the assignment pool. All other servers over the years in the single digits and teens have always had a host record created automatically in DNS with no problem. These three servers were running Server 2003 (and rec'd a DNS record) but were then upgraded to Server 2008 R2 and now do not have one.

Comment

Working...
            X