No announcement yet.

Specs for a windows 2008 server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs for a windows 2008 server

we are planning to install a 2008 server in a office, users 35-50 and it is going to be print server, file server, DHCP, DNS,
    what is the best specs for Dell server ?

Re: Specs for a windows 2008 server

Reported for move to Server 2008 Forum

Get your Dell Rep to make some recommendations
    What is the budget?
    Are you adding to existing servers?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Depends on the Data, 3rd party apps etc.
      The roles you selected doesn't need a lot of resources though.
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Sounds like a basic server build:
        • Mirror the OS drive, put nothing else on it.
        • I recommend a RAID 6 for the file server drives. Read some Robin Harris articles on RAID 5 / RAID 6 to find out why URE's render RAID 5 useless when you use large hard drives. Example article.
        • Get a decent PERC controller. Don't use onboard RAID. PERC or nothing.
        • Two NICS or at the least a double headed NIC. I prefer two separate NICs, but that might be a waste of space. Team the NICs for redundancy.
        • Two power supplies in case one evacuates its magic smoke.

Can you tell I'm a redundancy freak?

As far as CPU, you could get by with a decent dual core Opteron; nothing massive. Since it's a print server, you may want to stick with 32-bit Windows... so that means no 2008 R2 for you. 4GB of RAM.

It should still have enough power on it to make a good Halo server. Send me login details.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

That URE thing was really interesting. Thanks.