Start Menu Root - Changing Defaults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Menu Root - Changing Defaults

I'd like to have access to my My Documents directly via the Start Menu without having to Start Menu > Documents > My Documents.

I have gotten fairly close using Resource Hacker program to tweek things; however, this program and editing are new to me (I usually avoid registry tweeks, let alone these explorer.exe tweeks).

I noticed that every link in the Start Menu has a number after it; for example "Shut Down" is 506, which I assume tells it where to link. But I don't know this number for "My Documents" so I did research and couldn't find it, but I found a reference to #300 so I thought I give it a shot - didn't work. Problem is I don't know the number or how to find it. Anyone familiar with this that can point in right direction.

This is the code under Menu 204 for explorer.exe that I'm compiling:

204 MENUEX
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    {
    POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
    {
    MENUITEM "", 65535, MFT_SEPARATOR, MFS_ENABLED
    POPUP "&Programs", 504, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
    {
    MENUITEM "(Empty) ", 513, MFT_STRING, MFS_GRAYED
    }
    POPUP "F&avorites", 507, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
    {
    MENUITEM "(Empty) ", 65535, MFT_STRING, MFS_GRAYED
    }
    POPUP "&Documents", 501, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
    {
    MENUITEM "(Empty) ", 514, MFT_STRING, MFS_GRAYED
    }
    MENUITEM "&Help and Support", 503, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "My &Documents", 300, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Run...", 401, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "", 450, MFT_SEPARATOR, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "S&ynchronize", 553, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "D&isconnect...", 5000, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Undock Comput&er", 410, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Windows Security...", 5001, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Control Panel", 505, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Log Off %s...", 402, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Sh&ut Down...", 506, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    }
    }

I've also attached a copy of what my Start Menu currently looks like...My Documents is there but doesn't link to anything.
    Attached Files

Re: Start Menu Root - Changing Defaults

Which OS is this -- XP from your screen shot

But why not just put in a shortcut to "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents"?
    This would work in the standard XP menu and even in the classic menu you should be able to put it in the section with "games" and "microsoft office"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, right-click+drag My Documents to the Start Menu button, pause while the Start Menu opens, then continue dragging the item to the desired location. Release the mouse button and select Copy here.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Looks like an RDP screenshot to me with an XP Start button and the rest of it a Classic Menu.

What is this doing in the Server Forum?
        Last edited by biggles77; 27th May 2010, 16:15. Reason: typo
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wondered the same thing, but was waiting for the OP to come back and tell us
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The OS is Server 2008.

Have a few users set up as Terminal Server users and I wanted to control their desktop experience - i.e. minimal functionality and complexity required for them to get their work done.

However, I realized the method I mentioned is not worth the trouble. Already spent too many hours searching for the identifier and trying to back-guess it via trial&error. Not worth the time.

Comment

HotDay.....really. You don't mention the O/S with your initial information but then you go and point us in the wrong direction by posting in the Server 2000 & 2003 Forum!!

Thread is being moved to the Server 2008 Forum even though you have given up.

Please, in the future provide all the correct information you can about your problem otherwise we play 20 questions and waste time.

Everyone on this Forum generously gives their time for FREE so please help yourself by helping those who want to help you. Thank you.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, my apologies.
                The screenshot is actually from XP, the OS I was using when posting (it was supposed to be a sample of what I wanted the Start Menu to look and I did not want to mess around in the server without first testing it somewhere else); however, issue is for Server 2008.

I simply assumed the OS would not make a difference for the issue I was facing, and for the sake of brevity I did go into what I thought were unnecessary details.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  Yes, right-click+drag My Documents to the Start Menu button, pause while the Start Menu opens, then continue dragging the item to the desired location. Release the mouse button and select Copy here.
                  What is wrong with using Blood's suggestion? This will pin a Documents/My Documents icon on the Start Menu.

If this is not what you are wanting then you need to fully explain what you are trying to achieve. Terminal Server 2008 is also mentioned and I can onl figure that you want the My Documents link to be pinned to the Start Menu for TS Users? When you tried to do that, were you in the correct Mode?

Changing the Server 2008 Menu to the Classic Start Menu gives you this view. Is not exactly what you want but it is close or Blood's suggestion on the Standard Menu.

Classic Menu Click image for larger version

Name:	server-2008-classic-menu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	464482 ...... Standard Menu Click image for larger version

Name:	server-2008-std-menu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	464483
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for late reply, but...

OK here it goes

Goals:
                    1) Connect as many remote-desktop users as possible (i.e. squeeze out performance) to server with not so great hardware. Server will be used for business purposes - mainly Outlook, Word, Excel, iExplorer, Quickbooks - by people who think that computers were invented by the same aliens that built the pyramids of Giza (but we all know better...it was built by their enemies actually).
                    2) Increase worker productivity.

All employees undergo training where they are taught to become power-users (and god knows they need it). They are taught how to use windows shortcuts, how to organize and save files for recordkeeping and auditing; in addition they are trained in the specific software their position most uses.

The IT set-up has to assist the above goals. Thus,

To achieve goal (1), users are forced into windows classic theme and classic start-menu. All non-essential desktop functions have been turned off - the fancy desktops, wallpapers, smoothing, shading, etc have been turned off.

To achieve goal (2), the philosophy is that less is better. Less things to click and get lost means less confusion (why would they get confused you ask, especially after they supposedly underwent training? because they think aliens assisted humans to build computers, and even with training some people will still be intimidated). More importantly, classic start menu is leaner looking and has potential to be better organized. This is why I wanted My Documents to be outside the Documents hiearchy, since it's one less button users have to click to get to their documents - instead of 3 keys, users can use 2 keys to immediately open my documents folder.

Goal is creatively leverage current resources for efficiency, efficiency, efficiency...

Comment

Working...
                    X