Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "network path not found" when adding to the domain

Hello all,

I have a Windows 2008 foundation server, and when I try to connect a vista machine to the domain I get the 'network path can't be found'. I had no problem adding a Windows 7 machine to the domain.

ipconfig on the Vista client indicates that DNS, DHCP point to the DC, and that gateway points to the router.

The strange thing is that when I try to join the machine to the domain I am prompted for credentials by the server, but the process never completes and ends with the 'network path not found' error.

Re: "network path not found" when adding to the domain

Can you ping the FQDN and IP of the server?

Comment

I can successfully ping the server with the netbios name only e.g. ping server2k8, and I can also ping the FQDN server2k8.mydomain.local

Also for what it's worth when using NSLOOKUP the default server is the DC,DNS,DHCP and all lookups resolve. Thanks.

Comment

firewall on your vista machine ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

File and printer sharing pass through are enabled on the Vista firewall. I even downed the firewall completely while testing yesterday and there were no changes in joining the domain.
          There is an old NT4 server on site (before my time there) which was providing the smb shares. The Vista machine is still able to browse shares on that server although not being part of NT4 domain anymore. I'm wondering perhaps something was done to that machine in the past to make it connect to the NT4 domain which is perhaps causing a problem here.

Comment

Solved.
            -TCP/IP Netbios helper service had to be started.
            - credit goes here http://www.chicagotech.net/pathnotfound.htm

Comment

I was going to ask if you were up against the 15 account limit in Foundation Server 2008
              http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=1148

Clearly not, but beware of this in the future

That'll teach me to scroll down before going off and googling
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good point. It's a new product so it's easy to forget the new limitations.

Comment

Working...
                X