No announcement yet.

File Transfer from old to new server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Transfer from old to new server

What can I use to get 30 Gb of files over to 2008R2 from a 2003 server? Everything I read about Robo/RichCopy puts me off and the Windows File Migration Toolkit put all the files in one folder. Surely there must be a way to do this? Can someone please post who has been successful at this - thanks very much. BTW, it's a new forest, I will have to do all the accounts by script. Thanks very much

Re: File Transfer from old to new server

I DO use the File Server Migration Toolkit. It's very powerful and there are lots of options for what to do with the files as you transfer them. Generally it will transfer shares with oldservername_sharename as the new sharename and will automatically stop sharing the old share. By default it does put everything under one folder as I recall, but that is simple enough to change.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: File Transfer from old to new server

If you are not worried about shares and security permissions, just copy them manually -- 30 Gb is not a lot -- but make sure you do it from the target server or some files will not copy (autorun.inf etc). You can then set permissions manually

Personally, I've not had any problems with robocopy -- it does a good job of the NTFS permissions. There is another utility that will copy shares and permissions for you -- look at recent posts in this forum for details
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **