Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Advice

Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading our network and even though its going to be alot more work, we have decided that rather than upgrading the current ad infrastructure we are going to start afresh. This is mainly due to all the previous and hive stuff within ad that the previous IT manager had left behind.

So we are starting a fresh and I was wondering which would be the best way to ahead with it. I have a plan, but though it might be good to get some ideas from anyone on here.

Whats the best process to take to create the new structure.?

Thanks

Re: AD Advice

decide on what sort of structure your directory sould have - ie whether it's location based, or structure based, etc

then develop appropriate tree structure, identify which objects go into which OUs, etc.
    There's a big MS kit on how to do all this.. it even gives you worksheets, to say "this object goes from here, to here"

You will need to use ADMT to migrate user and computer objects, unless you plan on doing completly new accounts
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Can you give us an idea of the size -- users, sites etc?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

1 Site 200 users.

I was going to recreate all the accounts. We thought that a new start would be better, Have you alink to the mskit.

Thanks

Comment

with 200 users, some of who may be very attached to their profile settings, it may be easier to just use ADMT - have a search for that, I suspect that possibly in a link within ADMT documentation will have the preparation kit I spoke of..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X