Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate SBS 2003 to Windows std 2008

Hello Guys,

I need the exact steps to migrate from sbs 2003 to windows std 2008. The sbs 2003 is only a domain controller.

Thanks

Re: Migrate SBS 2003 to Windows std 2008

So, I presume you are ditching all email capability? If so, prepare the SBS machine so that the schema is "2008 ready", then dcpromo the Server 2008 machine to become a DC in that domain, finally transfer the FSMO roles over and remove the SBS box.

To prepare the SBS domain see this article from your favourite website: http://www.petri.com/windows-server-2008-adprep.htm, and yes, you do put the 2008 DVD into the SBS box and run adprep. I've done it and then the 2008 box can then become a DC in the SBS domain, it all works a treat.

I hope this points you in the right direction, the exact steps you refer to are available on Petri website and google.

If you are installing Exchange on the new SBS 2008 servr, just bear in mind that Exmerge is tricky to get workgin on Exchange 2007 & up, so if you are exmerging your mailbox data out from SBS 2003 into PST files make sure they are less than 2GB in size then, if you don't have too many of them, import them one by one using Outlook. If you have too many to do that procedure, you can get Exmerge working but as I say it is tricky so there are instructions again do a Google search for that (I'm not into reinventing wheels!).

Good luck and if you take at least one useful thing away from this - Do a backup first and check it works, then do another. Please!
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

for some reason I thought you could not move all the FSMO roles off an SBS server? and that you had to upgrade the sbs box to full blown product first with a microsoft transition pack...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555073

then you could move all the FSMO roles?
      Allen White
      MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Comment

Hm, good point, perhaps he could sieze the roles instead.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
          Hm, good point, perhaps he could sieze the roles instead.

Nah it doest allow you, you jave to transition to Full blown before hand then and only then can you seize the roles.
          Allen White
          MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Comment

Working...
          X