Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create PTR record from DNS manager in Windows Server 2008?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create PTR record from DNS manager in Windows Server 2008?

Hi,

I am having problem that mails being sent through my smarter mail server to AOL return back. This as i figured out, is because of a Reverse Lookup Record must be entered in my DNS server configuration. Now when i open DNS manager i can see the mail record (mail, Host (A), 67.199...) under my site's zone under Forward Lookup Zones node which i had configured several months ago. Now when i open this record and check "update associated pointer (PTR) record and click Apply i see the message warning: The associated pointer (PTR) record can not be created, probably because the referenced reverse lookup cannot be found. BTW i can also see three entries (records) under Reverse Lookup Zones node like 0.in-addr.arpa, 127.in-addr.arpa and 255.in-addr.arpa. I am not sure if this is enough or i have to change any record or add a new one for my smartermail. Please note that i am using Windows Server 2008. Please help.

Re: How to create PTR record from DNS manager in Windows Server 2008?

AOL do return emails when the sender does not have a PTR record, but that applies to the PTR record for your public IP address on yoru broadband line, not the Server 2008 DNS setup.

When AOL get an email, they do a reverse lookup to check the name associated with the broadband line's public IP address.

You need to ask your ISP to add a PTR record to your broadband line.

Having said all that, AOL still don't accept emails from many senders even though they have a correct PTR record setup, and I have spent ages trying to figure it out, but all I ended up doing is setting up a smarthost to send emails to them, and they sent all emails out correctly (even to AOL) so this may be the easiest thing to do.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks PaulH for the reply!

Sorry but I am still confused. Infact this is a dedicated server which had only installed windows server 2008 and IIS. I did the rest of the things like installation and configuration of DNS, web app and smartermail etc. So what i assume that WE are responsible for setting up everything regarding DNS (of course i may be incorrect in this assumption). Please confirm if i still need to ask the ISP to add a PTR record to this broadband line? Secondly, as you said that it is not likely to resolve the issue and you ended up with setting up "smarthost". What do you mean by smarthost?

Thanks

Babur

Comment

hi,

reverse dns is a bit like when you miss a phone call; you "lookup" the number and call it back. this is what the receiving mail server does with the ip address that has been used to send the mail.

ask your internet provider to apply a reverse dns entry against the ip address your server uses to send mail.

example:

mail.yourcompaniesdomain.com

you can then create associated "a" and "mx" records.

if reverse dns is not an option, then the easiest way (which will also provide mail cleansing) is to use postini who will be your smart host. as far as the receiving mail server is concerned your mail is sent from them.

hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks Simon, that certainly helps.

Babur: When the recipient does a reverse lookup on the incoming email, who's he going to ask? He cannot ask your internal Windows 2008 server, as that is not the public DNS server for the ADSL broadband line's IP address. No, he must ask the public servers on the Internet for that information. That's why you have to ask your ISP to arrange a rDNS (or PTR) record for that.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks again!

Though i have asked the ISP to setup the PTR for the resolution. I'm still interested to know for the knowledge, how to properly setup Reverse Lookup Record.

Best wishes

Babur

Comment

Working...
            X