Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove exhc server from WSUS

Hi

we have at our company 4 exch servers (cluster )
    and now they are getting update from the wsus server

how can i remove them from the server ?

thanks

Re: Remove exhc server from WSUS

Why would you want to -- WSUS puts YOU in control!

But if you need to, create a GPO which applies to the Exchange servers and points them at Microsoft for updates

If (as I suspect) the real problem is automatic intstalls/reboots, create a GPO for these (or all servers) that still connects to WSUS but selects the "manually download and install updates" option
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I can see the point of this personally. As much as I am a fan of WSUS I don't trust it to update Mail Clusters - I prefer to control it manually.

Anyway GPOs are likely the issue. If you have edited the Default Domain Policy to include WSUS remove it and create custom GPOs for each OU. Make sure your servers and workstations are grouped into appropriate OUs for having the same updating settings. For example if you have 2 Domain Controllers don't have them both rebooting at the same time, so that you always have one available.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

IMHO this is not an issue with WSUS but with the GPOs that apply it
        I always set up (at least) 2 WSUS GPOs
        For clients -- auto download and install updates
        For servers -- download but do not install

That way I can collect and allow updates centrally (using WSUS console) but control when (and if) they get applied to servers -- best of both worlds
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X