Window 2008 R2 - Starting AD and DNS all over again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window 2008 R2 - Starting AD and DNS all over again

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Perhaps I can ask for some guidance. I setup a new Windows 2008 R2 Server as a Worgroup File server. Then I decided to change it to a Domain Server with an Active Directory. I must have made several errors durring the course of this process as I now have {domain_name0} and {domain_name.local}. When I try to have users logon as a domain they can not access their shared folders. My original thought was to just use this New Dell Power Edte T300 as a file server in a "Workgroup" enviroment. Then I decided to change to an Active Directory. I know I did something wrong.I'm running ACT Premium and Quickbooks. The rest of the server is for file sharing.Bottom line, can I start all over again? At this point I know I flipped a few more parameters in the password area and now I can't change my Admin password (it's greyed out).Any help would certainly be appreciated.Thank you

Re: Window 2008 R2 - Starting AD and DNS all over again

Are you in a position to do a fresh install?
    If so, probably less effort than reversing what has gone wrong
    (backup first!)

Is it the first DC in a new domain or an additional DC?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's the first DC in the domain. I only have 2 users and only 2 applications. If I do a "fresh install" will I loose my shared data folders?
      Thanks for your help

Comment

Can I just DCPROMO and start over?

Comment

Do you not backup up your shared folders any way?

At the very least if you've any concerns just buy a USB hard drive and make a backup copy of everything you need to preserve.

If you don't already have some form of backup like this then get one before you learn the hard way how critical it is!

Once you've a backup it doesn't matter if you wipe any data off the DC with a rebuild because you can copy it back on and set up the shares again.

Comment

IMHO do not try another DCPromo as you have (from your first post) major issues which may still be in the registry
            A clean install will take c. 2 hours if you prepare (drivers etc) in advance

If you have 2 partitions (OS and Data) you will not lose anything, but if you have only one you will need to backup (as you should do anyway)
            Applications will need reinstalling afterwards
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X