No announcement yet.

Product Registration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Registration

Simple - you would think.

I am tasked through a project requirement of a rather large account to register all products. This includes a number of Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 instances. All products are installed and activated just fine - everything is peachy. But, the customer insists that we provide registration for the software. All non-Microsoft products had some form of online facility to accomodate such a thing - even in those instances where registration was an optional thing (as is the case for all Microsoft products).

After a few hours with my friend Topeka, formerly known as Google, I am at a stage of pulling hairs. There is a number of instances where "product registration" is actually mentioned (even here, on Petri) - but NOWHERE is there a simple link to a page that allows one to register the product, nor is there anything anywhere that tells one how to go about this.

I know if I buy a product from a retail establishment, I'll get a box and there will be a card inside to facilitate such a thing. But, in this case, there's no BOX, no cards - this is all business-to-business transactions.

Does anyone know how to REGISTER (not activate) Microsoft Windows Server and SQL Server products?

Please help... -- da Lizard

Re: Product Registration

AFAIK, except where it is offered as part of activation, there is no registration procedure

But that won't stop some bean-counter who requires you to do the impossible

Refs that may help:
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **