Win2008 Server crashes during AD DS installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2008 Server crashes during AD DS installation

Windows 2008 Sever Standard, SP2, logged in as Administrator.

I'm following these steps, using dcpromo, to install AD DS.

http://www.petri.com/installing-acti...erver-2008.htm

I've followed the requirements here:
    http://www.petri.com/active-director...quirements.htm

When I get to the Directory Services Remote Mode wndow where I enter the password, and click Next, Windows 2008 server says "Windows 2008 encountered a problem and will reboot in XXX seconds," and subsequently does.

Any clues?

Re: Win2008 Server crashes during AD DS installation

DO you have an existing domain or is it a new one?
    Anything in the event logs relating to the DCPROMO?
    If you turn off the "automatic reboot on crash" option do you see anything in the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)?

IMHO, if you have the option, blow away your OS and reinstall from scratch
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      DO you have an existing domain or is it a new one?
      Anything in the event logs relating to the DCPROMO?
      If you turn off the "automatic reboot on crash" option do you see anything in the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)?

IMHO, if you have the option, blow away your OS and reinstall from scratch
      First off, I'm new to Windows Server, of any version.

It's a new domain. I don't see anything in the event logs (first thing I checked), but I'll check again. I'll turn off auto-reboot on crash, though this is not like a hardware crash where it just reboots; like I said I actually get a message box that says "Windows encountered a problem and will reboot in XXX seconds."

I have re-installed to no avail.

Comment

Where did you get your installation media from?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I work for a company that does contract work for the Us Gov't, and it's a (required) ghost image of a Win 2008 Server that I restored on a local PC (also gov't spec'ed) via Acronis. It's a first attempt to set up AD DS on it, so it has no forests, trees, domains, etc.

Another clue that may help, is when I start AD DS service from the service manager, it starts, and then it immediately stops. The service is set to Automatic. Again no event logs. I'll be going to the library/book store this weekend to educate myself more, but I'm using all the resources to learn, including this forum, so thanks!
          Last edited by ChrisF; 27th March 2010, 22:59. Reason: Added more info on PC

Comment

If its a ghosted image, has it been sysprepped?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

That I simply don't know. You're asking if the person who cloned the image sysprepped the original Windows 2008 Server machine that the ghost image was generated from correct? I guess the fact that I did not go through the normal Windows "new load" process when I booted the PC with the ghost image means the image was not sysprepped?
              Last edited by ChrisF; 28th March 2010, 18:40.

Comment

This is likely to be:
                • a copy that you are not legally entitled to have
                • it is looking for a KMS Server to get a Product Key from
                I would suggest you go to the Microsoft Download page and get a 180 day trial version. Alternatively you could purchace a TechNet Subscription that has a 28% discount which expires on March 31st http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../bb892759.aspx OR you may be entitled to use a copy from the company you work for depending on their Microsoft licence/MSDN Subscription if they have one.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  This is likely to be:
                  • a copy that you are not legally entitled to have
                  • it is looking for a KMS Server to get a Product Key from
                  I would suggest you go to the Microsoft Download page and get a 180 day trial version. Alternatively you could purchace a TechNet Subscription that has a 28% discount which expires on March 31st http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../bb892759.aspx OR you may be entitled to use a copy from the company you work for depending on their Microsoft licence/MSDN Subscription if they have one.
                  For Ossian - I tried a sysprepped load to no avail.

For biggles77 - The first point is NOT true since we're contracted to do the work and the gov't said, "Here you SHALL use this image!" Like I said, we can not use just any Win2008 Server - it HAS to be this image we got from our customer. I have an MSDN license and can get ANY Windows software I want, but it's useless in this case.

So it must be the second point. Note that the domain I'm trying to set up is isolated from the outside world, it is merely a group of PC's with one server (with Wion2008 Server) and the others with Vista Enteprise, all sitting in a room, in a classroom environment for computer-based training. The server is used to "push" the files needed for a lesson for example. The OS is keyed but is currently not activated so maybe that's the problem?
                  Last edited by ChrisF; 30th March 2010, 14:53.

Comment

If it is looking for a KMS Server to Activate to, then create a VPN to the working Network and see if that fixes the problem. In making this suggestion I have assumed that you have the "image" working at your work location and this is one you have taken to a Lab or home to play and learn with.

Is this assumption correct or does the "image" just not work from when you were provided with it?

Assuming (again) can you create a Virtual of a working machine and then load it up on Virtual PC, Virtual Server or Hyper-V?

If my assumptions are wrong, then please start from the beginning about the Network Setup and how the image was given to you. We need to know all of what you know otherwise it becomes a guessing game. The more info you provide thebetter we will be able to help.

A quick fire way to learn is to purchase the Train Signal Server 2008 Labs.
                    http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...ining-C17.aspx
                    http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...ining-P34.aspx - Possibly this one first since it deals with DCPROMO & AD.

http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...ckage-P66.aspx - Server 2008 Enterprise with the lot PLUS Windows 7 Lab when it is released

http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...ckage-P59.aspx - Administrator package
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X