A very basic user organization question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very basic user organization question

I need to ask a very basic question re: Users and Groups. I have researched and paid for documentation on 2008R2, but I am still a learner and I need to double check on this.

What is considered best practice for the location of users in 2008? By that I mean our old 2003 server was set up by an IT company. At the root level of the domain, they created an OU for the whole school and put everything in that. So they didn't use the built-in Computers or Users containers. However, I may ultimately need to incorporate non-windows LDAP binding to the new server; and in feeling out the LDAP records I realize that I cannot see users, except when created in the default Users container. I am going very slowly with the transfer to a new server and I want to get this 100% right.
    Thank you very much for your time - it's much appreciated.

Re: A very basic user organization question

We have something similar in our org where we have specific OU's for sites and all users and computers go into the respective OU.

Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule for OU design and implementation and ultimately it is all down to the IT team that designed it.

Can you not specify the OU in the LDAP programs you will be using???

Comment

Re: A very basic user organization question

Thanks for your response. So long as it's logical in the OU arrangement, I guess that's the main thing. Just wanted to ask.
      Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Can you not specify the OU in the LDAP programs you will be using???
      I can. I did. It's working!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X