Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required for SMTP Server Installation on Win 2008 R2 Standard Edition

Hi,
    I am planning to install SMTP server on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition.
    What are the major(minor as well) points which i need to take care of before installation?
    please revert back as soon as you can.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Rajeev

Re: Help required for SMTP Server Installation on Win 2008 R2 Standard Edition

It depends what SMTP is for. I would consider locking it down. Turn off Anonymous connections and / or restrict access by IP address so it cannot be used for malicious purposes.

Comment

Hi PJHutch, Many thanks for your reply.I intend only to send outgoing mails from my organization domain. Do I need to have Lotus or Exchange server?Let me expain the situation:I have a website, if some users logs into it and creates an account, an email notification would be sent to him.For this, in my assumption I only need to have a SMTP server through which i can send the auto generated emails.If I am wrong somwhere in my understanding, please do correct me.

Comment

You are correct, only the SMTP server will be needed
        Numerous links on which should take you to where you need to be:
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

wht I guess is that u want edge server or similar application , once insatlled i recomend u to run scw wizrd to perform hardening of server.

Comment

Working...
          X