Admin rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin rights

Hello, can anyone tell me if this gives me the proper rights at the level of an admin in my domain?

C:\Users\Administrator\>dsget group "cn=Domain Power Users,OU=IT,dc=subdomain,dc=domain,dc=company,dc=c om" -members
    "CN=User1,OU=Other,OU=Management,DC=corp,DC=lpdc,D C=company,DC=com"
    "CN=User2,OU=IT,DC=subdomain,DC=domain,DC=comapny, DC=com"

C:\Users\Administrator\>dsget group "cn=Domain Power Users,OU=IT,dc=subdomain,dc=domain,dc=company,dc=c om" -memberof -expand
    "CN=Power Users,CN=Builtin,DC=subdomain,DC=domain,DC=comapny ,DC=com"
    "CN=Remote Desktop Users,CN=Builtin,DC=subdomain,DC=domain,DC=company ,DC=com"
    "CN=Administrators,CN=Builtin,DC=subdomain,DC=doma in,DC=company,DC=com"

Any insight is much appreciated. As of right now, I don't have the rights to enable telnet on a local machine. I get prompted for higher level authentication. Loggin in as myself did not work either. Windows 2008 Server / Windows Vista Business clients.
    Last edited by Mudd; 13th March 2010, 16:17.

Re: Admin rights

All this does is list the membership of groups -- it will not grant you any rights
    If you are a domain user you will have to ask your administrator to give you more rights
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Allow me to give you some history as to what is taking place at my workplace. I was a full admin on a domain at my current job. For reasons unknown to me, the company allowed another worker to create another domain and to take the place of the current one in which I was an admin. After this new domain was created, I know find out that I do not have the same rights as before, but being told I am a power user with administrative rights.

I found this out because I tried to enable telnet on a Vista machine and I was prompted for higher level of authentication.

Now I know the list is just for membership and I should have mentioned that the domain power users group was added to the local admin group on the domain. Would that give me administrative rights on the domain level, or just on the machine level or both?

Comment

I would check on a client that the "Domain Power Users" group is a member of the local administrators (use computer management) then you can use the commands above to check your membership

IMHO you need to have a discussion with management about IT strategy -- why on earth would they end up with 2 domains?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X