Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router setup for dns/dhcp

Hi,

Not sure if this goes here. Didn't think I should continue the original thread I'd started.

A few weeks ago I'd setup a single domain server w/AD,DNS,DHCP,File and print roles using server 2008r2. Everything worked fine for about 2 weeks. My pc's that connect to the domain work fine but now the standalone pc's will not connect to the internet. I believe it might be because the lease was released. I'm in the dark.

I'd turned off DHCP on the router like suggested and added the router to the Alternate Configuration on the standalone pc's. If I ping the server the standalone pc's can see it but not the router or modem-get a host unreachable error. I've tried some changes to the standalones (like adding the ISP's IP addresses and tested,when it didn't work put everything back) Any suggestions? Can someone spell out the steps that I need to checkor do to get this to work? What other info. do I need to supply to you?

Jae

Re: Router setup for dns/dhcp

Check DHCP on the server to ensure the stand-alone PCs have obtained a lease
    Post IPCONFIG/ALL from a good and a failed client for us to compare
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think you should've continued on the previous thread so we could follow the issue better, besides, it looks to me that it's part of the same problem: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=44016

Did you configure the same DHCP scope on the win server as in the router and did you disable the router DHCP?
      I would configure the clients to point to windows DNS server and also on the DNS server configure your router's ip as a forwarder.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks Ossian & L4ndy for your comments. I spent part of yesterday going over my documentation and discovered that I had the IP address for the router in the forwarder section incorrect. Once that was corrected on the server everything works like a champ.

I think that this thread can be closed.

Thanks again guys you and this site rocks!!!

Comment

i have the same problem but the IP address for the router in the forwarder section is correct.
          any help plz(i don't know if i had to create to new thread )
          Last edited by SarahLacy; 8th August 2010, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahLacy View Post
            i have the same problem but the IP address for the router in the forwarder section is correct.
            any help plz(i don't know if i had to create to new thread )
            Yes, please create your own thread with as much details (but no private info, sanitize it please) as possible.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X