Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 and 32-bit xp dual boot

Hello,

I realize that this is a topic of very minor interest - why on earth dual-boot a server OS. I am just beginning my efforts to gain MCITP certification and need an environment to study. My work laptop is a Compaq 6720s running 32-bit xp pro, but it is 64-bit capable.

I know those of you who work IT full time are rolling their eyes - another loose cannon user. Hopefully I can demonstrate that I intend to proceed responsibly.

I have successfully re-partitioned the hard drive using Paragon Partition Manager. And I have downloaded and burned the (64-bit) Server 2008 180 day trial image.

My question is - will the (64-bit) Server 2008 boot manager be able to deal with the already installed 32-bit xp pro partition? I have read the documentation for bcdedit and understand that I may need to tune the boot instructions to regain access to xp, but I have not seen anything that addresses the possible conflict between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Hopefully because there is no issue.

Yes I realize that virtualization is another option, and one that I will need to understand in order to be a qualified administrator.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Mike

Re: Server 2008 and 32-bit xp dual boot

I have done this in the past dual booting XP and 2003, for much the same reasons as you are when I first started my MCSE. Don't see any reason why it won't be possible.

Install XP first and boot to it, then insert the 2K8 DVD and choose clean install when the wizard opens. You'll be prompted to reboot, go ahead and do it and then choose the new partition when you get to the drive options.

This is the same procedure for dual booting XP with Vista/7 so should work. You have to boot into the older OS and run setup from there though so that the new install is aware of the older version of windows and it displays in the boot menu. The alternative option is to isolate the 2 OSs from each other by doing a clean install of 2K8 on another hard drive and using the BIOS boot menu to choose which OS you want to boot to.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks very much cruachan. I agree with your suggestion except that, since my xp version is 32-bit, when it tries to run the 2K8 setup wizard, it finds the 64-bit software and quits. So I then boot from the 2K8 DVD and everything goes smoothly from that point.

I just wasn't sure whether, once I have finished the 2K8 install, I would still be able to boot to xp. I wouldn't even have questioned it if both OSs were 64-bit. Just didn't know if the 64-bit 2K8 boot manager would somehow stumble on the 32-bit xp.

Comment

D'oh, forgot that the wizard would detect 32-bit and fail. There are other options though. Boot off the DVD and do a clean install of 2K8 and then use EasyBCD or a similar tool and maunally edit the boot loader with the entries for XP. More info here.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X