X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build KMS Server

Hello to all,

I have a couple of questions regarding KMS, that I don't understand:
    1. The key that you use to activate the KMS server it's a special key that you call Microsoft for, or it's just a key that you get from MSDN ?
    2. If you manage to get the KMS server up and running, let's say on a win2k8 sever, and you have different clients on your network (vista, 7, 2008 ), those clients get all activated ?; or you need to put several KMS keys on the KMS server for that.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by biggles77; 21st February 2010, 00:36. Reason: Fix smilie issue

Re: Build KMS Server

I do not believe the KMS Server needs a special key however if you are going to be running sufficient instances of each different operating system on your network to qualify for a KMS key, then you will need a special key (like a VLK) from Microsoft for each different operating system you will be running.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have a MSDN account, and right now I'm just tesing it; so to understand...I can put multiple MSDN keys on the KMS server ? vista, 7, 2008 ?

Comment

No, you have to get a "KMS Vista Key", "KMS Windows 7 Key" from Microsoft that goes on the KMS Server. You also need 5 plus versions of the particular software before you can use a KMS Server to activate the supplied numers.

Ooops, got my numbers wrong. The training was a while ago. Sorry. Have a read of the following. The 5 was for the number of Server 2008 boxes. As you can see from the link, you need 25+ Vista or 25+ Windows 7 keys to be to meet the KMS requirement otherwise you are looking at an MAK setup. http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/i...-a-kms-server/

I have only had some background training on this whereas other Members have setup KMS and MAK Servers. Search the Forums as I seem to remember a thread or 2 posted about this topic.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X