HELP: Strange Sysvol Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Strange Sysvol Issue

I've recently migrated our win2k domain to windows 2008 domain. The domain functional level is till win2k as one of the old DC is still win2k. All operation master roles have been moved to the new windows 2008 DC. I'll name the old win2k DC as DC1 and the new win2k8 DC as DC2 for simplicity.
    After the migration I've noticed that all users/computers connecting to DC1 are not getting GPO settings applied to them. Any clients connecting to DC2 are getting all GPO settings/software installs properly. I troubleshooted it and found that the junction point for "domain.com" under "C:\winnt\sysvol\sysvol" was pointing to "C:\winnt\sysvol\domain?" instead of "C:\winnt\sysvol\domain". I'm not sure how the junction point got that special character '?' in there. So, I used linkd.exe to fix the junction point back to "C:\winnt\sysvol\domain". However after doing that if i try to access the domain share using "\\domain.com" on the domain controller itself it gives me an error message saying that the label or syntax is incorrect. Should it change it back to include the special character (?) ? I'd really appreciate some help in this matter.

Re: HELP: Strange Sysvol Issue

just an addition. I tried to re-create the junction points on the troubled DC1 and it is still not working. if i try to access the unc path for \\domain.com it gives me an error message saying that the path is not accessible. i've checked the ntfs/share permission and everything seems to be fine.
    on the new DC2 i've noticed the same issue with staging area junction point. using linkd it shows that it is pointing to 'C:\windows\sysvol\staging\domainA'. Not sure again why there is an 'A' appended to this. I'd really appreciate some help/opinions here.

Comment

Re: HELP: Strange Sysvol Issue

any idea what might be causing this issue?

Comment

Working...
      X