Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2008R2 dhcp vs. router dhcp

Hi,

This will be kind of long- sorry. To give a heads up I'm more fluent in computer hw/sw support (15+yrs), but have been known to tackle servers, fiber, etc. issues.

The network is a Linksys WRT160N router, speedstream modem, 4port switch and a WRE54G.

There are 4-6 workstations that need to access an application on the server. Of these 2 are on-site and have a full time connection to server and a MFD. The others come on-site and access as needed.

Have a server installed w/2008r2, installed the following roles: AD, DNS, print and file. Everything works fine. I'm wondering if I should install the DHCP role on this box and configure? Currently, I have the router providing the IP addresses to the workstations that are on the domain and as standalones. I've spoken with 2 different support people locally and have gotten two different answers as to the best scenerio to run.

I want to be able to provide a backup scenerio if the server crashes. They will need to be able to access the internet which is why I still have the router providing the addressing.

Ok- in your opinion what is the best way to handle this? I'm looking for the least headaches in support and setup.

Hope I gave enough info. if not let me know.

Thanks,
    Jae

Re: server 2008R2 dhcp vs. router dhcp

Server DHCP si far more flexible -- you can specify a lot more than the DG that the router gives
    The only way to user the server for DNS will be to use server DHCP
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree, the server is the best option. It's more secure as your edge device is not doing DHCP and you get all of the AD and DNS integration features as well.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Ossian & Cruachan for the reply.

So I get that you're saying the server setup w/DCHP is the route to go. My next question is: how am I to manage internet access for the standalone pc's that aren't connected to the server? If the router is not pushing out the IP addresses - I'm guessing that I will be disabling DHCP on the router, so what is/are my options for them? Is there an article(s) or links that I can look at that explains this? Or do you want to hit me with some basic steps 1-2-3, and I can take it from there.

Regards,
        J-

Comment

As long as they are on the LAN or WiFi they will see the DHCP server and can get an IP -- regardless of OS and domain membership (yes, even iPHones can get an IP via DHCP)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Okay Ossian,

What you said makes sense but I'll take it one step further. Forgive me as I unknot the tangled mess of my brain and make sure I'm on page 2 with you. Let me know if I'm off base here.

Scenerio1: server has some issues, and is powered up. Everyone (both server & standalone) will be able to access the internet as long as DHCP is functioning. This ties into what you just mentioned in your post.

Scenerio 2: server is dead, no power. You can't be saying that these people will still be able to access the net via wifi?!? DHCP is disabled on the router which will not supply an address correct? So I'm back to needing to ensure that there is internet access. What to do?

J-

Comment

If you have set things up right -- long ish DHCP leases and perhaps your router as an additional DNS server, you can lose the server for a while and your web access is not affected
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

you can also supply an alternate ip address on each pc (in the alternate configuration tab on the NIC properties) to be 100% sure that you wont loose connectivity. what this does is telling the comps to use the specified address if no DHCP server is availabe. in this case even if you restart one of the stations when the server is down you'll still get internet.

also dont forget to put in a secondary dns server (ISP or router) as mentioned above...
                Last edited by guypaz; 11th February 2010, 23:04.

Comment

the server in my opinion is the best option. you will get all of the AD and DNS integration features with more security
                  ________
                  Wireless routers home
                  Last edited by SarahLacy; 8th August 2010, 19:07.

Comment

Working...
                  X