Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to promote stand alone server to DC

Hi all,

I am getting an error message when I am trying to promote stand alone machine to DC. This is enterprise edition server 2008. This is a trial version that I downloaded from MS. In past Iíve done it and it went fine but some reason this is not going through. Iíve attached a snapshot for the same (pic0).

The error message talks about the password not meeting the requirement Ė Iíve changed the local policy settings as shown in pic1. I tried doing this via administrator account and with a user account (this was in local admins group) but no go. Iíve set the password to [email protected] This does meet the complexity requirement. I checked forum and googled it but nothing came up.

I also checked event logs but nothing fruitful.

Any suggestions!

Thank you in advance,
    Vaibhav
    Attached Files

Re: Not able to promote stand alone server to DC

I know this is a simple question.
    But, did you reboot the machine after applying the local password complexity policy?

Cheers,
    Nick

Comment

yes - couple of times

Comment

Is this the first DC in the Domain? (Your images are no longer available)

Image issue rectified.
        Last edited by biggles77; 13th February 2010, 08:58.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hey

Well I am preety sorry but i am sure you are doing something very incorrect

assuming

1) its a new DC/domain, there is no pwd policy in place , so no reason for this error

2) its an additional DC then it will replicate the info from an existing DC which again can't giv this error

....please make your situation clear and attach the screen shots again

Rgds

Pledge Technologies
          Best Regards,
          Pledge Technologies

Comment

I can see the screenshots just fine.

lvaibhavt, editing the local security policies will have no affect because, as I understand it, the error is in reference to the Domain Policy that dcpromo wants to put in place. The local admin account needs to comply to the soon-to-be-implemented domain policy. The default domain policy has the password requirements that you need to adhere to and thus you can't change them because they're not yet implemented yet. I hope that made sense. It's late here.

Is there another installation of a Windows server operating system on that hard drive? An odd question, but not so odd when you read this TechNet thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-a64ff7f80557

Incidentally, I found a ton of similar problems on Google: http://www.google.com/search?q="we+r...+command+line"

Let us know what happens!
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I made it an ADC to 2k3 server and then continued ........

Comment

To resolve the above issue -- try this

1) Type Run dcpromo
                2) its showing above error while preparing dcpromo
                3) go to command promot type net user Administrator /passwordreq:yes
                4) insert Windows2008 DVD in ur system drive
                5)Go to Command Prompt and type <cdpath>:\support\adprep\adprep.exe
                6) after this press cntrl+alt+delete you find out go to change password as per policy standards ex: "[email protected]".
                7)Again to to run command type dcpromo
                you can get success.
                9) Your active directory installed successfully

Thanks Nonapeptide

Comment

You're quite welcome Ivaibhavt. So, you had to turn on the password policy, the run adprep, then reset your password and then dcpromo would work. That's odd. I wonder why you had to run adprep first. Hmmm...

Ah well, I'm glad it worked out for you!
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                  X