Clear All

• Server 2003 domain upgrade to Server 2008

Within my enviroment i have the following

Server 2003 Domain
    2 locations
    3 domain controllers
    1 exchange 2003 box and DC holding the Domain Naming and schema role
    1 sharepoint portal server 2003 with WSS 2.0

I will need to purchase a new server with 2008 because i am moving the last DC from one site to another, so i need a new DC in one of our sites. Will i run into any issues being the Exchange box holds 2 roles?

Re: Server 2003 domain upgrade to Server 2008

Once you introduce a 2008 DC and upgrade the schema I personally would transfer the FSMO roles to that server. This of course assumes that the 2008 DC is at your main site.

What you will probably need to do, given that most machines now are 64-bit, is download the 32-bit evaluation copy of Server 2008 R2 from Microsoft, so that you can run adprep on the old schema master which is likely 32-bit. Depends on version, 2008 RTM doesn't have the 32-bit version of adprep but as I recall the R2 DVD does include it.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The 2008 DC will be at the secondary site, so it will only be a GC.

My main concern is Exchange being that it holds two of the roles. I want to make sure i won't break it. Is it possible to transfer these roles to another DC without breaking Exchange?

Comment

Yes, you can move the FSMO roles with no issues. If Exchange is installed on a DC, then that DC must also be a GC and you can't demote it.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the newest server at the primary site?
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X