No announcement yet.

Strange FSMO Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange FSMO Issue

I have a strange issue with one of my FSMO roles. FSMO role I speak of is the Schema role. I have a single site domain with 3 DC's all running W2k8 R2 x64, one of which is supposedly holding all of the roles. Now. I've been seeing Event ID 2092, Source: ActiveDirectory_DomainService. It is telling me that:

"The server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role.

Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail until this condition is corrected.

FSMO Role: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ad,DC=mydomain,DC=co m"

The interesting thing here, is that when I go and try and transfer it to one of the other DCs, I cannot. I go in via the mmc snap in, select operations master, where I should be able to transfer the role to that particular DC (which is different from the FSMO role holder) and it actually shows the same server in both boxes. EG. say my role holder is called, in the box that should allow me to transfer it, reflects the same name, rather than either or

I've done a bit of googling and can't really find anything relating to w2k8. Hence I post here. I am also a little hesitant to try and seize the role because I am not sure if it will work and if it will hose stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh an if this is posted to the wrong place, my apologies. Again, thanks in advance..

- Padraic

Re: Strange FSMO Issue

I would start of with replmon to troubleshoot :

Re: Strange FSMO Issue

Thanks for the links. I'd actually been checking the repadmin for discrepancies and weirdness. I did a bunch of stuff to see if I could fix, however, nothing worked. At any rate, I decided on urban renewal and tore the whole thing down. I am just starting out, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Everything seems to be in good working order now that I created a new domain with a new name. I appreciate the response.

Thanks again!!