X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to browse network/Domain not seen by clients

Hello again,

Server2008 R2 with Raid 5.

Had a HDD failure over xmas (now fixed) and some power outages to the site (server backed by UPS so shouldn't matter).

The DNS and network was working fine up until this point but now I have the following issues.

I can ping all computers from each other and the server no problem but when I try and search the network from the server there are no computers shown except the server itself (there used to be a green progress bar indicating network discovery progress but this doe snot now occur).

Even though I can ping the server from the clients (all XP pro's) the clients do not discover the server in "Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network".

When logging a client on to the DNS it displays something like "Duplicate Name on Network". I have removed the client from the domain but now I can't put it back because it cannot find the DNS.

I have checked the network equipment (3 netgear 24-way switches and a cisco router) and all seems fine.

So my problem is: did the hardware failure cause another problem (not likely I am thinking) or is there a network problem or has a microsoft update changed the server to cause this issue or is it something else?

I have set browser to automatic and started it (i.e. "sc browser start= auto" then "sc browser start") and tried NET VIEW on the server - this displays nothing.

I have looked at the event viewer for the DNS and AD but nothing obvious stands out.

NSLookup shows the server and the IP address OK.

Googled till I'm sick!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Daz

Re: Unable to browse network/Domain not seen by clients

Duh!!! Server 2008 SP2 (not R2)

Comment

Have you run DcDiag and NetDiag with the /v switch, any errors?

Comment

Thanks.

I have run dcdiag /v and the "doing initial required tests" failed.

The tested server was "Default-first-site-name\myDNS"
        The error was "mydomain.co.uk could not be resolved to an IP address."

netdiag was not a recognised command.

Daz

Comment

Working...
        X