No announcement yet.

Sequence list to replace single DC servers with 2000 and 2003 to 2008 DC server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequence list to replace single DC servers with 2000 and 2003 to 2008 DC server

Until now I have only been requested to either create new forests in 2000/2003/2008 servers or adding additional servers ( in this case on 2003 ) to existing networks as member servers or additional DC servers.

At this moment I have to replace single Servers in Windows 2000 and 2003 in different companies with 2008 x64 servers. Since this is something new to me I have decided to create a sequence order for both cases and to put them in this site ( petri.co.il has been a valuable place to go for me whenever I have doubts ).

Any comments or suggestions will be meaningful to me because I have to do both until next weekend and I want to avoid any inconvenience or unnecessary downtime for my customers during the process. Let’s begin with my sequence:

1. On Windows 2000 or 2003, run ADPrep x86 taken from x86 CD setup for 2008 using the following parameters:
    Adprep /forestprep (as it is the schema master)
    Adprep /domainprep (as it is DC)

In Windows 2000 I will use the switch /gpprep altogether with /domainprep

2. Connect 2008 to the network as belonging to a workgroup and run dcpromo, adding it as an additional DC for an existing domain

3. Move the FSMO rules as described in http://www.howtonetworking.com/server/2008fsmo1.htm

4. After restart, activate DNS service if not enabled yet and change Primary DNS of both servers to IP of 2008 server

5. Force replication (if possible) and check if the user and computer accounts are on the Active Directory

6. Demote the original server using dcpromo on it ( either 2000 or 2003 )

7. Use Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit to transfer information on shared folders

8. Install DHCP Server and migrate the DHCP settings from the old server

9. Check the user accounts for the path to user folders or profiles being the 2008 server

10. Shutdown old server to check if workstations log in successfully and access shared folders as always did.

11. If everything is ok, power on again the old server and delete it from the Active Directory.

Thank you for your time.

Re: Sequence list to replace single DC servers with 2000 and 2003 to 2008 DC server

Make sure you get system state backups before you start migrating. Personally i would p2v one DC and place that virtual machine in a test environment and do the entire migration before doing it on a production environment.

bio..

Comment

Re: Sequence list to replace single DC servers with 2000 and 2003 to 2008 DC server

Than you for your reply, bio.

One of the servers I'm unable to test it on a virtual machine. I'm going to do a system state backup before as well as a backup of the shared folders.
      In terms of the sequence, do you think it to be ok? Do you suggest anything different?

Comment

Looks OK to me.. however you might look into the profile copying.. They can not be easily copied since domain admins don't have permissions by default.

bio..

Comment

"4. After restart, activate DNS service if not enabled yet and change Primary DNS of both servers to IP of 2008 server"

I would do this before transferring roles
          After DNS is up,reboot, run DcDiag.exe and NetDiag.exe, correct any major errors.

Make sure replication is working.

Get DHCP, and other roles/features going. Keep it simple, no exsess role/features.

Again DcDiag /v and NetDiag /v , check all event logs for issues

Transfer roles once major issues are corrected.

You will need to reconnect the WKS to the new server.

"Demote the original server using dcpromo on it ( either 2000 or 2003 )"
          I would go slow on this, wait a couple days, with a few reboots of the new server in between, check all event logs just before killing the old servers off.

You will like 2008, it is a nice build !!!
          Last edited by Technome; 27th January 2010, 21:01.

Comment

Working...
          X