Adding a Windows 2008 server to a Server 2003 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Windows 2008 server to a Server 2003 domain

Quick question to throw out there while I'm searching through the forums and google.

I have a server 2003 domain that was running on SBS but I upgraded to just server 2003. Everything seems to be running fine and I've removed the old SBS GPO policies and all of that but now I'm trying to add a BDC to the domain. The BDC is server 2008, so I'm not sure if this will work? It shows up as a DC in Active Directory but isn't handling any of the BDC duties.

Does anyone have a checklist of things that need to be done to make sure that all of the settings are correct? I'll continue searching, just wanted to throw this up here in case anyone has some ideas!

Thanks,
    Lee

Re: Adding a Windows 2008 server to a Server 2003 domain

First up -server 2000, 2003 and 2003 have all done away with the concept of PDC and BDC domain controllers. All domain controllers are multi-master. (The exception being the FSMO roles)

To promote a 2008 domain controller into a 2003 domain, I beleive you need to run the forestprep commands first.

when you say it's not performing any DC roles, can you explain that further?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Adding a Windows 2008 server to a Server 2003 domain

While it was showing up in Active Directory as a DC it wouldn't actively participate as one. For example it was not working as a logon server. It works now! Followed some of the articles I found on here and it's up and running, so thanks for the help!

Thanks,
      Lee

Comment

Working...
      X