No announcement yet.

WS2008 TS-RemoteApp

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS2008 TS-RemoteApp

Hi all,

I have pretty much hit a wall with an issue that I am faced with currently and was hoping this forum might be able to help.

I am in the process of deploying a new TS-Remote App server to host an internal line of business application. In order to function correctly, the app requires certain parameters to be set in the registry for every user that interacts with it (within the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ registry hive).

What I am hoping to achieve is that whenever a user attempts to launch the app for the first time, these parameters are populated in the registry before application launch.

I have tried calling a .reg file directly using a runonce login script whilst specifying the "/AlternateShellStartup" script parameter within the "Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Logon/Logoff)\Logon setting, but was unsuccessful.

I have also tried launching a .vbs file which calls the .reg file to merge the contents from within "Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Run these programs at user logon". While this did function as expected when the user logged into the server interactively, it did not execute when the user launched the application remotely (which is my intent).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and further detail can be provided, as and when needed.

Best regards,

Re: WS2008 TS-RemoteApp

I'm in a similar situation where the software running on TS requires an environmental variable to be set.
    I have had some luck using just a regular batch file that runs when the user logs in to TS.

Thanks for your reply...I did try the batch file route but appeared to get a similar result.

I did forget to mention that a couple of things need mentioning:
      1) As I am still conducting testing the server has been deployed into a lab environment;
      2) The TS-RemoteApp server is a member server in the above 2008 native mode ADS domain;
      3) All GPO settings are as per the default configuration;
      4) I have ruled out permissions being a factor - I temporarily elevated a user's credential to local admin and still had the same undesirable outcome; and
      5) I have ruled out UAC - temporarily disabled UAC and again had same undesirable outcome.

Hope this helps provide additional clarity.

Ok well I cracked it.

It appears, after doing some recon on the server (using ProcessMon), that there is a significant difference in how scripts are executed, GPO settings are applied and which registry hives are loaded depending on whether interactive users or RemoteApp users login and interact with WS2008 Terminal Services.

So a script that was configured to execute via local policy at "Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Run these programs at user logon" would not be executed for RemoteApp users because the relevant portions of the registry were not loaded prior to application launch.

As a result, I decided to include the code to merge the contents of the .reg file into the network mapping .vbs file that is called at logon time (via the "Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Logon/Logoff)\Logon setting). Did some testing and it worked as expected.

A simplistic fix, but took a while to figure out.