Removing Child domain in 2008 AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Child domain in 2008 AD

Does anyone know how to remove a child domain from 2008 AD?
    I created a child domain and had one DC in it, but that server crashed and is no longer available.

I tried using the ntdsutil but when I try to select the site under list domains I keep getting the following error no matter what site I choose:

Error parsing input-invalid syntax

I also tried to do a restore of the system state using Symantec backup agent but it doesn't seem to work, the server does not rejoin domain and can not connect to the child domain it was originally in.

Please help and thanks in advanced.

Re: Removing Child domain in 2008 AD

you did follow these douments ? :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230306/en-us
    http://www.firewall.cx/ftopict-3717.html

regards
    bio..

Comment

Yes I did come across all those artciles and tried what they suggested however I kepp getting stuck in the same area.
      When I choose select Domain to delete I make my selection and get the following error message:
      Error parsing Input - Invalid syntax

Any idea what that means?

Comment

Hi,

I am sure there is something wrong while giving the syntax. Can you type the steps you're trying to do with the child domain. This will give a little bit clarity.

Comment

Here is what I am typing in:
          1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
          2. At the command prompt, type ntdsutil, and then press ENTER.
          3. Type metadata cleanup, and then press ENTER. Based on the options given, the administrator can perform the removal, but additional configuration parameters must be specified before the removal can occur.
          4. Type connections and press ENTER. This menu is used to connect to the specific server where the changes occur. If the currently logged on user does not have administrative permissions, different credentials can be supplied by specifying the credentials to use before making the connection. To do this, type set creds DomainNameUserNamePassword, and then press ENTER. For a null password, type null for the password parameter.
          5. Type connect to server servername, and then press ENTER. You should receive confirmation that the connection is successfully established. If an error occurs, verify that the domain controller being used in the connection is available and the credentials you supplied have administrative permissions on the server.
          6. Type quit, and then press ENTER. The Metadata Cleanup menu appears.
          7. Type select operation target and press ENTER.
          8. Type list domains and press ENTER. A list of domains in the forest is displayed, each with an associated number.
          This is where the error occurs no matter what I select.
          1. Type select domain number and press ENTER, where number is the number associated with the domain the server you are removing is a member of. The domain you select is used to determine whether the server being removed is the last domain controller of that domain.
          2. Type list sites and press ENTER. A list of sites, each with an associated number, appears.
          3. Type select site number and press ENTER, where number is the number associated with the site the server you are removing is a member of. You should receive a confirmation listing the site and domain you chose.
          4. Type list servers in site and press ENTER. A list of servers in the site, each with an associated number, is displayed.
          5. Type select server number, where number is the number associated with the server you want to remove. You receive a confirmation listing the selected server, its Domain Name System (DNS) host name, and the location of the server's computer account you want to remove.
          6. Type quit and press ENTER. The Metadata Cleanup menu appears.
          7. Type remove selected server and press ENTER. You should receive confirmation that the removal completed successfully. If you receive the following error message, the NTDS Settings object may already be removed from Active Directory as the result of another administrator removing the NTDS Settings object or replication of the successful removal of the object after running the DCPROMO utility.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

The following MS article was able to solve my issue
            Article ID: 216498

Comment

Working...
            X