Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 AD server

Hi,

Pretty much new to WSUS, having pretty much used Marimba to deploy patches in the past. We now have two new Windows Server 2008 stanard DCs, and are in the process of upgrading our existing W2K and W2k3 servers, and also P2V through vMotion. The hardware whcih we have all this sitting on will be more than adequate.

The question I have is, with the IT manage having previously NEVER patched a single server, or thought about the consequences of not patching the servers or clients, has not asked me as part of the whole infrastructure refresh, to look at a strategy of patching our servers to the lastest updates every month. So, with a budget already tight, would it be possible for me to use the DCs for the WSUS or would I need a dedicated WSUS server? There is currently only 4 virtual servers and approx 16 physical servers, which over the next 2 months will be consolidated to 8-10 virtual servers.

Thanks for reading this post

Re: WSUS 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 AD server

It doesn't need to be on a dedicated server, but if you have the luxury to have one then why not, otherwise any member server with available resources will do.
    Although it would be ok installed on a DC, I would personally not do it if I can help it.
    On windows 2008 sp2 by default you can install the WSUS role as an option.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

WSUS can also be installed as a Virtual. Quite handy if you have several sites and all you have to do is copy the VHD with all the updates to the new loacation and then Sync it with MS.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I currently manage WSUS in our environment, I would say not to put it on your DC because it does need a lot of storage space for updates as well there will be times you need to reboot it for updates itself.
        I have mine on a server that also runs different applications and it seems to work better performance wise too.

Comment

Working...
        X