adding a conditional forwarder ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a conditional forwarder ?

Ok so this may be more 2000 related - I'm writing up a process guide for doing an ADMT migration.
    I know I need to setup DNS so that the two new forests know about each other. That's easy to do using 2008 - add a conditional forwarder for olddomain.com

but the existing domain we're migrating from.. many servers are Win2k, and I don't have an option to add a conditional forwarder.
    If I change the existing configured forwarders, it's going to break their internet resolution.

The way I see it I could:
    * Allow a replica copy of newdomain.com to be stored on the DNS server at OldDomain.
    * set the forwarders at olddomain.com to be newdomain.com name server (which will already be configured to forward unresolvable requests..)
    * add hosts or LMHOSTS entries ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: adding a conditional forwarder ?

Been a while since the 2000 days lol.

Not that i can remember but what i would try would be to get a seconday zone setup and pull it from the Primary at the other site.

Comment

probably gonna be the solution..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm just trying to think of any other ways but i reckon that'll be the easiest for you.

Both Forests trust each other and have direct links (via VPN or other means)???

Comment

As you noticed conditional forwarding was not supported in windows 2000 srerver was a new feature of 2003.

As wullieb1 said, a secondary zone would probably be your best bet.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X