Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow booting/haning at applying computer settings until network comes up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow booting/haning at applying computer settings until network comes up.

I just installed Windows 2008 R2 on a Dell PE 1950 with 2 Intel dual port Pro1000s. I have one interface on each card teamed together. They are set to 1GB/full. Whenever I reboot the server it hangs for about 1min 45seconds on Applying computer settings. The whole time I am pinging the server and the network is not active. As soon as the network becomes active the server finishes booting. Also anytime i change the IP address of the server its about a 1min 45 seconds until the network becomes active again. I have tried removing the teams and setting the cards to auto negotiate with no difference. I have tried turning of wait for link on the network adapters and that didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? The slow booting process is causing services is fail.

I forgot to mention that the server has a static IP not DHCP
    Last edited by MattWhat; 12th November 2009, 01:36.

Re: Slow booting/haning at applying computer settings until network comes up.

try this, and let me know how you go. I know you've already dropped the team..

But drop the team, disable one of the cards, so you're only using one. See how that goes.

also - what sort of switch do you have at the back end ?

is this server a member of the domain ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried using no team and only one enabled NIC. It didn't make a difference.

I believe its plugged into a Cisco 6509 but id have to get confirmation on that.

It is on a domain. It is the domain controller.

Comment

Enable portfast on the switch port that the server is connected to.

Comment

joeqwerty, I tried enabling it and it didn't work.

I have also noticed that if i disable the NIC and enable it and run a ipconfig for about a minute and a half the ipconfigs return the information wtihout an IP address. Then as soon as it returns an IP address I get an event in the event log "The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service entered the running state."

I have tried disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP on that NIC and it didn't do change the situation at all.

Comment

You could try to reset the TCP/IP stack. it could be that some weird LSP has messed it up. netsh winsock reset .... and netsh int ip reset commands here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317518
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

regards
            bio..

Comment

I have found that if I remove the Intel drivers and use the Microsoft provided drives that the nic comes up way quicker. The problem with this is that the Microsoft driver doesn't give me a way to team the nics.

Comment

The issue is definitely with the Intel NICs. I moved the cables to the on-board broadcom NICs and everything is working smoothly. After working with Dell for a while they finally admitted that they are having issues with Windows 2008 R2 and The Intel NICs that I have.

Comment

Aren't there newer drivers on the Intel website?
                  In my experience Dell always using older drivers on their site.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I tried the newest drivers from Intel's site and the Dell provided ones. Both had the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X